Dive Philippines (buceofilipinas)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60 Whalesharks in one day?!?!?! Time to call the Shark Research Foundation. We need to all go there for an ID count and tagging. 60 Whalesharks?!!??! Wow.

Actually, when I was in Donso in '06, I did "interact" with 14 of them in an hour. I think that not seeing them in Leyte was the universe restoring balance to The Force.

Having said that, judging by the German guys on the boat from Leyte to Bohol, who, and I quote:
"Vee are going back to Leyte to try and zee those ****ing ba***rds"

They were not putting up a big show in Donsol this season...

Z..

Yes, all the pictures are from our local divesites and some are from Palau, where we also arrange extension trips from resorts or live aboard... We do have hammerheads, not too many but you can see them eventually in the visayas (specially near Malapascua) and Ticao (near Donsol) areas and also in Palawan. Other sharks (whalesharks) are spotted all over the country, but in Donsol you may find up to 60 in one day during feb-may (start arriving in october-november)... threasher sharks in Malapascua... grey, white tips and blacktips are more often everywhere... and in Tubbataha you may find bigger ones! Hope this helps...

Warm regards

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my question, or I did not ask clearly.

I'm quite familiar with the fantastic diving in the Philippines, I have been several times, and am, in point of fact, working on another trip.

I guess what I really wanted to know, as I'm not very good at Spanish :), is where are your operations located? Where in the Philippines, and where in Palau?

We are a very enthusiastic group of divers here, which means that we like to know all the details about potential diving locations. Please let us know more.

Z..

I will copy-paste a description of Donsol whalesharks interaction from the Philippines Department of Tourism:

A whale of an experience in Donsol, Sorsogon: In late 1997, the world discovered the huge schools of whale sharks that had been visiting the mouth of Donsol River for generations, oblivious to the small coastal community. Organized whale shark expeditions then transformed this sleepy, remote fishing village into a major eco-tourist destination almost overnight. Get ready to put on your gear, ease yourself quietly into the water, and swim alongside the world's largest fish, over 50 feet in length and 13 tons in weight, in the wondrous waters of Donsol.

Donsol is located in the province of Sorsogon in the southwestern part of the Luzon in the Philippines. Swimming with a whaleshark at Donsol is the epitome of wildlife encounters- an experience of a lifetime- a nature enthusiast or ecotour fanatic cannot afford to miss!
And such a singular experience is offered, nowhere else, but in the waters off Sorsogon, particularly in the coastal areas of Donsol where one can interact with a butanding or even several- some 50 to 60 of them- at any one time. Such phenomenon cannot be found in other parts of the country even in other parts of the world.

These gentle giants of the sea-considered the largest fish in the world, measuring from 15 ft to as long as 60 ft. in length-have been observed to congregate in the waters off Donsol starting sometime during the months of October and November, and in the peak months of February to May. The butandings, featuring silvery polka dots all over its huge body, are harmless, gentle, friendly and playful, allowing humans to interact with them, as they swim alongside seacraft.

Yeah, that is what it says but frankly I don't know anyone seeing even 15 at a time. The other members will add to this but I wouldn't use 60 with your customers, they will be disappointed. I understand that you are just repeating what the DOT says but I think they are exaggerating...

Hi Zeeman,

Sorry all for not having the site translated in English yet… We are working on it and soon it will be online.

BuceoFilipinas is a diving tours & travel agency run by divers for divers. We offer our own PADI Courses & Specialties at different resorts (at the diver´s preference) and we have partner dive centers, resorts & live-aboards in the following places:

Batangas (Anilao & Verde Island), Puerto Galera, Donsol & Ticao, Visayas area such as Bohol (Panglao, Balicasag, Pamilacan, Cabilao, Siquijor, Apo Island & Dumaguete), Cebu (Mactan, Malapascua, Moalboal, Pescador) & Boracay; and obviously Palawan (Tubbataha, Apo Reef, Cuyo, El Nido, Coron & Dimakya); all these destinations offer the option to have extension trips (from resort or live-aboard) to Palau (Koror, Rock & Peleliu).

Please let me know if there is anything we could do to assist you in your forthcoming diving trips to the Philippines or Palau.

Thank you!

Yeah, that is what it says but frankly I don't know anyone seeing even 15 at a time. The other members will add to this but I wouldn't use 60 with your customers, they will be disappointed. I understand that you are just repeating what the DOT says but I think they are exaggerating...

14-15 of them in 1 hour is already a very good number... what we meant is that there are around 60 in the area in 1 day during the peak season... :D

"Vee are going back to Leyte to try and zee those ****ing ba***rds"

Excellent quote! I kinda respect that level of resolve...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom