Dive ops and boats questions???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

me2me2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI! I'm coming in to deliver my dad to my sister's home and will be staying for a few days. Ok, let me rephrase that... I'm delivering my ailing Dad to Hawaii and I'll be danged if I'm going to endure those long flights and not get to do some diving while I'm there also!

So that said, I arrive August 3rd late evening and don't fly out again until the 12th so the opportunity to enjoy some good diving exists!!! :D I've tried to look up some info and it is rather confusing at times. So what is up with dive ops and boats? Most ops don't own their own boats? Or some do and some don't? Could someone explain to me? So if I want to dive with an outfit that streamlines my experience by one stop shopping who should I go with on the west side? Or how about just some good recommendations? I'll be staying in Kapolei, and I'll have access to a car but since I haven't lived there (nor been back for a visit) in (oh gods has it been that long) 30 years (I was a kid, really I was!) I don't really want to drive too far to soon. I also would like to make my drive times short so I can be back to help take care of dad asap.

Also, if anyone living in Hawaii wants me to bring anything I can get locally I'd be more than happy to deliver, within reason of course. I"m coming from Maryland. Uhm and since my hands will be full tending to Dad I"m sorry but I don't think I'll be able to babysit a load of steamed Maryland Blue Crabs for the over 12 hour journey. They are running about $45 a doz for large right now anyway! Anything not needing ice and doesn't weigh 50 pounds is fair game though!

I'm currently scrambling to try to get a 5 mm wetsuit in time. I'm a warm water wimp and y'all seem to have water that is actually just a tad chillier than the Caribbean where I usually go to dive.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. It looks like some really interesting dives are located on the west side and boat basins are there as well, I'm just confused over the logistics I think.

Thanks for any info or advice.

Myra

if your staying in Kapolei you'll definetly want to dive on the west side, or fight 1 to 1.5 hours in traffic getting into town in the morning (or more if your going to the east side) or another option will be north shore surf permitting. West side options are Capt bruce, Ocean concepts or Aarons dive shop. North is Surf and Sea, Deep ecology and many other shops go to north shore during this time, you could meet them out there
As far as owning boats some shops do own there own boats, the majority are owner operated, both have advantages and disadvantages, some private boats will have more than 1 shop using them on that day others are exclusive, shop owned usually will be only their customers.
IMHO owner operated boats usually are better maintained but may be more restricted in dive sites or time, shop owned boats are more liberal with time and schedule but offen have a captain or crew that does maintenence when the boat breaks down (not in every case but usually, I've personally worked with, for most shops here)
also there are many independant operators who work from their vans (for lack of a better term) many of them have worked for one or more shops and have broken off on their own, some can be very professional and have top notch gear for use and usually aren't restricted to location or time frames and generally are cheaper since they have almost no overhead.
Best advice is have a general idea where, when and what kind of dives you want to do and then start calling (since I am a owner operator I won't make recommendations but hope everything works out good for you)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom