Dive Operators in Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheesh

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm heading to Kauai in May and plan to do some diving. Can anyone recommend dive operators. I've heard that Fathom Five is good, but that's all I know.

Thanks,
Bash

I like Bubbles Below. Linda Marsh does a great job!

Basheesh:
I'm heading to Kauai in May and plan to do some diving. Can anyone recommend dive operators. I've heard that Fathom Five is good, but that's all I know.

Thanks,
Bash

You have a couple good choices ......Fathom Five would be my favorite.....George is a good guy 6 pack boats (2) second choice would be bubbies below Ken and Linda .......if you don't get sea sick try Sea sports ...much bigger operation has great trip to niihau ...... this would be fun but expenisive

Brian

Capt Brian:
(2) second choice would be bubbies below Ken and Linda .......Brian
Unless something has changed, Ken has been out of the picture since the two of them split up several years ago. My understanding is that his role is limited to blending Nitrox for them.

Basheesh:

Thanks,
Bash

Just did 8 dives with Bubbles Below. Only 8 divers allowed. Skill levels were average. Sites are based on sea conditions, which were strange in March. Boat is spartan butr works. Linda is a great dive master. We saw several whales.

Thanks for all the good advice. If any of you can recommend specific dives unique to Kauai, please let me know.

Hello Basheesh,

In May you have a few options in Kauai. The North Shore of the island finally sees reduced sized swells so that means the famous dive site Tunnels will be open. This dive site was made famour by a husband and wife team and now a few operators go up there in the summer months. Your best bet for this dive is Oceanquest/FathomFive. I dove with Jeannette about two seasons ago and she was awesome. The Tunnels dive is a semi enclosed environment, nothing needing technical expertise but for those squeemish in lava tubes, you need not enter this dive. For other's you'll be treated to White Tip Reef Sharks, some turtles and a few different brands of nudibranchs like the Spanish Dancer.

More diving is on the South Side of the island. Cathc a ride with Fathom Five on one of their small and 6 person limited boats. Try to make it to Sheraton Caverns and Cargo Net or Ice Box. The caverns are an old broken down lava tube with some high walls and some greta swim throughs. Lots of turtles hear. We got to see a massive frogfish that Anthony pointed out. There are about 20 sites that Fathom Five hits on the South Side of the island via boat.

The west side offers a few dives in May. Look up Bubbles Below for those. Linda Marsh does an exquisite job on her Niihau dives. Get ready though, the dive day to Niihau is a long one with a 30 mile boat ride each way. On the way home you often get hammered with trade winds making for a very rocky ride on their 35 foot boat. If you do dive Niihau with Linda they may want you to do one dive before hand with them so they can determine if you are going to be able to make the dive in Niihau. Free decents and ascents are just about mandatory as you'll be doing some drift dives. They also hit the Mana crack. Amber's arches is a more tame dive site they often hit when weather beats down the Niihau, west side dives.

http://fathomfive.com Dive with Jeanette or Larkin at Tunnels. Dive with Paul and Ken on the boat south shore. Ken was pilfered from Bubbles by Fathom Five so all that ocean going experience came right with him. Len and Charlie are crack ups too.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks Ccampan,

Your detailed advice is much appreciated. I'm in the process of arranging my dives, and will take your advice when I finalize my plans.

Basheesh

Another vote for Fathom Five here... but George the owner was less than impressive in my opinion. He was actually quite crude and offensive, telling very inappropriate jokes and must have commented about sex (or his lack there of) 100 times on our 2 tank trip. If you go out with anyone else that works there though you'll be impressed. Paul was our divemaster when we went on our first trip with them, he was a nice guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom