Dive Operators in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Staying on the subject of dive operators and not getting into a shore/boat diving debate, you are staying at the Lodge Kura Hulanda. It is at the far west end of the island. Ocean Encounters West is almost literally on premise.They have a daily 2 tank AM boat dive and most often a single tank afternoon dive to 15 different sites (including 2 of our favorites and more than a few we haven't been to as yet). Their house reef is superb. This would be the easiest operation to use since you can walk to and from your room. Once you are comfortable diving you may want to include a few west end shore dives; Lagun, Cas Abou, Porto Marie and even Westpunt Bay come to mind right away. If you rent a car, the drive to The Dive Bus or Ocean Encounters (or almost any dive operator east of the airport) is at least 45 minutes; longer if you drive with the morning traffic to make it to, lets say OE by 8AM to sign in with your c-card for their morning dives. The one, only and last time we scheduled a dive with OE we left Westpunt well before 7AM. I'm not sure what time you would need to be at the Dive Bus if you plan to go in the bus. East side shore diving however would obviously be at your convenience. The Dive Bus and others would be happy to schedule a guided dive on their house reef. I agree with Alashas, if you plan to be here for 2 weeks, you might want to consider getting your advanced open water the second week. It will add to your knowledge, skills and confidence in the different dives. I like a little time in the AM to wake up and have a bite to eat before a dive. Both Habitat and Sunset Waters will be over a 25 minute drive (since you are not a crazy local driver) from the Lodge if you are considering using their operations. All the dive masters we've met have been great, Habitat, SW and OEW all dive the same west end sites, you'll have to decide how much effort you want to make before your dive. You'll love the diving here.
Sunshine

I recommend you use The Dive Bus. I just got back from a trip to Curacao a few weeks ago and loved the diving with them. I originally was signed up to do 4 days of diving with Ocean Encounters (located at Lions Dive) and 2 days with The Dive Bus. After my first day of diving with The Dive Bus I changed that to 3 days each. (Honestly, if I could have totally cancelled with Ocean Encounters I would have) I was even staying at the Lions Dive which is where Ocean Encounters is located.

I did not like the DM on the Ocean Encounters boat for 2 of the days of diving with them. He gave almost no safety briefing and the dive briefing was "we are going to go to the right for 25 minutes and then come back for 25 minutes". He also did not look back at the divers on the dive or point out almost anything. (The DM on the Friday dive to the Superior Producer was good and did full dive briefings)

The Dive Bus however was GREAT. The diving at their house reef is beautiful, they did comprehensive dive briefings, pointed out lots of sealife on the dives, were excited about diving, and pleasant to be around on the surface. I actually did a total of 5 dives at their house reef (4 daytime and 1 night) and still didn't see the entire reef. (There is a lot of sealife there). The one day trip I did with them was amazing. I
can't say enough about Mark, Suzy, and Tim at The Dive Bus.

With regards to cost, my 3 days of diving with The Dive Bus were considerably cheaper than Ocean Encounters.

Regardless of who you chose, enjoy Curacao!

Back
Top Bottom