Dive Operators in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmyersfam once bubbled...
Okay, so this is my first post...be gentle. I researched the board as much as I could and didn't really find anything, so here is my question.

My son and I are heading to Cozumel in a couple of weeks and wanted to know the scoop on the dive outfits there. We are using Xtabay. Any feedback on them or other operators on the island?:shark:

There are tons of dive operators on Cozumel, and most are quite good. Quite often an inquiry about dive operators on Cozumel generates a spate of what are basically commercials by folks trying to generate business for operations they have become friendly with. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but sometimes things touted as features of a dive op are far from unique.

The larger tanks used by a couple of operators on Cozumel (and charged extra for) are an exception to this, but that particular trait can be of limited value to a diver who is good with air consumption and usually ascends "in the yellow" on an AL80. If using larger tanks were clearly an absolute economic advantage for a dive op, then they would all be doing it; the competition between dive ops on Coz is fierce.

The most important variable, IMNSHO, is your preference between diving from a small boat with a few divers or from a large boat with many. Some divers prefer the one, some the other. When interviewing a dive op, that is my first question.

Another thing to consider is where you are staying; some ops are reticent to pick you up from a far north or far south hotel for their own logistical considerations.

And a point of advice: always be honest when describing your experience level to a dive op. You don't want to be a novice diver stuck on a boat on the way to Punta Sur or Barracuda.

One more thing: enjoy your trip!

:bandito: This your first trip to Cozumel, or first dive trip...??

I didn't see what experience level you or your son have? Like GGUNN said: "...always be honest when describing your experience level to a dive op..." If either of you are new, the DM can pay special attention. I took a brandnew diver down there, and the DM took very good care of her while leading the group. We even hired him as a personal guide the next day, when he was not scheduled - which is a really good idea for anyone having difficulites.

And when we say don"t drink the water, we mean don"t put it in your mouth, for toothbrushing included. Use the bottled water...

Have fun!! DON :wavey:

I like Papa Hogs they have a good restaurant to wait in before or after the dive, they have a bunch of 6 person boats going out, so when things are cooking you can often get to go exactly where you want to without any hassle. The owner Mike has become a local character.

Thanks again for all your input.

My son and I both have just over twenty dives each. We got our OW last summer, and AOW and Nitrox this summer. We're green but motivated.

Aldora tends to attract Cozumel veterans and very experienced divers.

I would give Papa Hogs or Blue XTSea a try.

Left out of these posts are any mention of several independent operators who only have one boat but provide exceptional service. Rodolfo Soltero of the Anita 987 87 21542. Caryitos divers and the independent Charro with the Mayte 987 872 2460.
These three have been taking divers out for over twenty years and have many loyal customers.

A bit more expensive, but worth it with the extended bottom times and yes Memo(Bill) is the best divemaster ever...funnier than hell too!

My wife and I dove with Aldora in August and they were absolutely fabulous. Memo is very knowledgable and a great guide. We had a lot of fun and were well taken care of the whole time.

AS for the Steel 120's, they are great for two reasons. First they can give you long bottom times, both our dives were in the 70 minute range. Second, you don't have to go up early just in case you have someone who really sucks air.

Another great advantage is the the small group size. You don't have to jostle around the boat with 12-15 other divers. It is more expensive, but you get more personal attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom