Dive Operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texas Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on using Dive Paradise as a dive operator. My wife would like to stay at the Occidental Grand on Coz and the dive package she saw included Dive Paradise as the dive operator. From the look of their website it appears they run a cattle boat operation. Although I am interested in saving a buck where I can, I would rather spend a few bucks more and dive with a good operator. I can delete them from the package if I want to, so I would really apprecaite an opinion about them. Thanks. :new_puppy

I recently did a week on DP's cattle boats, and they were OK for cattle boats: big fleet of boats, well-run, and friendly staff. Real mixed bag of skill levels among the customers, so the DM's tend to keep an eye on the less experienced divers.
My biggest complaint was that they tended to repeat sites, especially on the afternoon trips. They seem to automatically head for Paradise Reef, but had no problem going elsewhere if requested. I dove with them because of a good three-tank-a day deal with them and the Villablanca.
You might look into their fast boats. DP does give a nice bang for the buck, IMHO.

I don't dive with them exclusively but Dive Paradise is among the better of the larger dive shops in Cozumel.

When you book your trip, make a point to tell the agent that you want to use the fast boats and are willing to pay extra for the change. It will cost you a few bucks more than the advertised price but if that's what you want, it's worth the difference. It won't be a huge difference per dive but make sure that if you pay the booking agent more for fast boats that you get something in writing as when you show up at DP, they will assume you booked at the advertised slow boat price.

Or you could just get in touch directly with DP before you go down and explain what you want to do. I'm sure they will be willing to work it out for you. Web page at: http://www.diveparadise.com/

Joel
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_diving.html

I would suggest finding another DO if you are not a novice diver. There are a number of threads in MX regarding this very issue

Used DP seveal times on two trips last year, Took the large boats, most trips were divers choice, crew helpful. Different levels of divers aboard they usually had 12 divers and divided into 2 groups of six. DM's were good at finding interesting things to look at of photograph.
I would also like to use Blue XT or Deep Blue on my next trip.

Have a great trip
Jim

mediakzar:
I don't dive with them exclusively but Dive Paradise is among the better of the larger dive shops in Cozumel.

When you book your trip, make a point to tell the agent that you want to use the fast boats and are willing to pay extra for the change. It will cost you a few bucks more than the advertised price but if that's what you want, it's worth the difference. It won't be a huge difference per dive but make sure that if you pay the booking agent more for fast boats that you get something in writing as when you show up at DP, they will assume you booked at the advertised slow boat price.

http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_diving.html

You can most likely find another op that will take you out on a small fast boat for the same price as DP's large slow ones. Many ops only run small boats, so with them there is no danger of getting bumped onto a cattle boat (which I have heard of happening with DP).

ggunn:
You can most likely find another op that will take you out on a small fast boat for the same price as DP's large slow ones. Many ops only run small boats, so with them there is no danger of getting bumped onto a cattle boat (which I have heard of happening with DP).

I thought the original question was consideration of a package deal of Dive Paradise and a specific hotel. The point I was trying to make is that if you don't want the slow boats, you'll need to pay a little extra over the advertised price but a fast boat package deal option is available even if not advertised.

Joel
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel.html

mediakzar:
I thought the original question was consideration of a package deal of Dive Paradise and a specific hotel. The point I was trying to make is that if you don't want the slow boats, you'll need to pay a little extra over the advertised price but a fast boat package deal option is available even if not advertised.

All well and good, but some might be surprised that one can often put together one's own "package" that's a better value than what a travel agent can offer. For example, I prefer to arrange for my own diving and accomodations rather than throw my lot in on an arranged deal. To that end, my point (not necessarily at odds with yours) was that there are many other ops on Cozumel that will not charge you a premium for taking you out on a small fast boat.

Back
Top Bottom