dive operator reference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used Redsali twice, and each time I was very much displeased with the professionalism of the staff. Certainly, it is a 'cattle boat' operation, but I am used to that and my dive buddies and I have found that we can ignore that aspect for the most part. BUt, when there are too few staff for too many divers, and the divers are not vetted at all, then there are the issues of idiots getting thmeselves into trouble, dives cut short by frantic air hogs that blow a tank in 20 minutes, and unsafe situations that need never have occurred. I've experienced all three with RedSail and simply wish to avoid such nonsense. I would much rather pay a little more and dive with symaptico operators.

example: We left the Westin with a ful boat. We had the typical mix of 'big talkers' and 'certified years ago' divers, along with a small group who seemed like perfectly fine divers. Two gents, both from the UK, looked to me to be extremely out of their element. I had to help them get their gear sorted and so on. We tied off at the dive site and the briefing was perfunctory, and no one was listening anyway. There was a captain and one dive master. Anyway, in big groups like that, I tend to go in the water last so as not to waste a bunch of air on the sand at the bottom, waiting till everyone gets thier weights sorted and so on.

THe two English guys were finally in, and so my buddy and I rolled in and started our descent. I was watching the two guys, and sure enough one of them was flailing around trying to decsend with a bunch of air in his BC. So, I motioned that I would meet my buddy at the bottom, and went to see about these guys, since the divemaster was engaged already with two other divers who seemed close to panic.

I gabbed them each by the BC, and did my best to calm them down, then I dumped their air and we slowly go tto the bottom. I spent the rest of the dive holding the hand (Literally) of one of these guys. Worst dive ever. When we surfaced, the divemaster acted as if he had no idea what had transpired.

THe second dive the two guys sat out.

Back at the RedSail operation at the Westin, I looked for a manager to complain, but found no such person. My first trip with Redsail the year before was not as bad but bad enough, so twice is enough for me.

Thanks for filling in the details - sounds like I should cross Red Sail off my list and maybe check into Seasports instead..

I was also considering Neptune's
Keith and Casey run a good operation. She used to post here sometimes as caymancase. But not since last year.
I don't think the outfit I dove with last time in GC (TI Divers) even exists anymore
They don't, the hurricane some years ago put at least 2 of their boats inland - one picture I saw had one of their boats at the bottom of a pile of other stuff. Shame, we liked them - esp. the convenience of their location.

Sunset Divers is the Sunset House dive operator. I think you meant Ollen Millers SunDivers - which afaik doesn't have a website. I think Turtle Reef is the best of them. As mentioned above both Divetech shore dives - Cobalt Coast and Lighthouse Point - have a shallower component.

You might also contact Jason at Ambassador Divers - they're located at Comfort Suites - as I believe they'll go with as few as 2 divers.

My bad, thanks for catching that. Yes, of course, i meant Sun Divers.

I think sun divers piggy backs web site of the cracked conch. I guess I could have verified before posting this but I didn't.

Btw turtle reef shore dive is usually my favorite on each visit. I prefer late afternoon. This way the sun is on the wall for some great colors and off gassing during happy hour is perfect.. Watch for the green flash.

Anyone have experience with Ocean Frontiers? We're leaving this Saturday for Grand Cayman and wanted to start scheduling dives for next week.

Thanks.

-James

Phone them immediately. THey were fully booked all last week.

Hi All,
We are just back from Cayman. We used In Depth Watersports, and I cannot think of a better dive operator, anywhere.

Nat and Art are tremendous people, and that BOAT! Wow. A Navy Seal boat. 900 HP, and steady as a rock. You will most likely be diving with 4 or max 6 divers.

Nat is the most certified (technical) dive Instructor on the Island. And Art is a real pro. You ought to see her go after Lion Fish.

They operate from the North Sound, right next to Calypso Restaurant at Morgan's Harbor. (10 minute ride from most hotels and they will pick you up).

I know this sounds like a commercial for In Depth.. but they really were the best dive Op I have ever been with. (250 dives).

I will post some pics and a report here as soon as I get the time.

If you go, tell them Jim and Marco sent you.

Nat: +345 916 8604

@Nardulli:

If VARugger wants to dive with Ocean Frontiers, he intends to dive the East End. InDepth WaterSports does not run dive trips in that area. The only other East End option is Red Sail Sports / Tortuga Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom