Dive operator in Pennekamp State Park?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BethanyW

Reaction score
I'm going to the Keys with my boyfriend over spring break and I'm planning to do some diving in Pennekamp State Park while I'm there. I'm wondering if the dive operator in the park itself is a good one to dive with? At the moment my boyfriend neither dives nor drives and it would be handy to be able to take a boat right from the park, so that he has something to do all morning while I'm diving.

Alternatively I guess I could use an operator near the park and drop him off at the park first.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

I don't really understand your question.
The park is underwater (as marine parks usually are :54: ), so you won't find any operators in the park. However, just about any one of the 50 or so dive shops in Key Largo and Islamorada dive in the park.

Reef Adventures (The operator in the state park) is a great one to go with. Both of the Captains (Jim and John) are very friendly and knowledgable. It's a 50 foot pontoon boat, and they aren't usually packed with people, so there is a lot of space to go around.

I've made a bunch of trips with them, both with students, and for fun dives. I highly recommend them. They are relatively cheap too. Another added bonus if you're here for spring break.

They also have a large glass-bottom boat that your boyfriend might want to check out while you're diving. PM me if you have any questions.

Have a good spring break!!

Jeremy

BethanyW:
I'm going to the Keys with my boyfriend over spring break and I'm planning to do some diving in Pennekamp State Park while I'm there. I'm wondering if the dive operator in the park itself is a good one to dive with? At the moment my boyfriend neither dives nor drives and it would be handy to be able to take a boat right from the park, so that he has something to do all morning while I'm diving.

Alternatively I guess I could use an operator near the park and drop him off at the park first.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

I have been out with the dive shop that is inside the park. Had a good time with them.

They have a web site with info on scuba diving, canoe and sea kayak rentals, glassbottom boat trip, snorkeling, and other activities:
http://www.pennekamppark.com/

Yep, that's the dive shop I meant, the one that you get through the pennekamppark.com website. It was just confusing because they don't give a name. :) Thanks for the advice, it sounds like that's a good way to go. I'm thinking of leaving him to explore the nature trails and things all morning while I dive, then going snorkeling together in the afternoon.

If you don't mind my asking another question: we're also planning to spend a few days in Key West, since I've never been to that end of the Keys before and it sounds interesting. Moreover, it looks like another good place to abandon my boyfriend to go diving. :) If we're staying in Key West, is it worth driving back up a ways to go diving in Looe Key, or is diving out of Key West itself petty good, too? (I've only got around 30 logged dives, so I'm looking for pretty basic stuff, you know, the whole "nice reef, pretty fish" experience. :) )

Bethany

I just got back from a trip to Key West last week. Diving was great, did 6 dives on the reefs south of Key West and a couple of wreck dives. The reef dives were about 30 feet max, lots of life. Saw nurse sharks, reef sharks, lots of barracuda, stingrays, fish, etc. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The wreck dives were 60' and 100', not as much life, but great dives. One day, I drove north to Ramrod Key to dive the Looe Reef and Adolphus Busch wreck, but we got out to the wreck and the Capt. turned the boat around due to high waves...
The drive up there is about 1/2 hour/45 minutes north of Key West.
HTH
bryan

Two big thumbs up for REEF ADVENTURES. Nice big boat. Usually not too crowded this time of year. I've probably dove with them 8 or 10 trips. Only $41 if you bring your own tanks and weights, like I do. They do go to the same places on FRENCH & MOLASSES Reefs, so you may see the same area. Ask for a trip to the BENWOOD, it is a nice wreck dive in about 45 or 50 feet.

Have fun.

MIKE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom