Dive op with great rental equipment, small boats, gear storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, folks, I'm getting a picture of Cozumel's operating environment, where it seems many people don't actually set out from the dive shop's own premises but rather are picked up from several different locations. I can appreciate that this constrains things in a way I hadn't considered. Storage is only one consideration for us.

Also important is an intelligent solution to varying air consumption in the group. Going up to the boat at different times was what I imagined to be the best way. If that's too hard in a strong current and the dive op wants everyone to surface together, one PM suggested that DMs would be open to air-sharing with the air hog. Um? Only has happened once outside training, and I was frankly alarmed when the DM handed buddy his octopus in order to let us keep watching the lovely schooling jacks. While we don't like pissing off fellow clients, we would need more advice before deciding that air-sharing outside of emergencies is in our comfort zone.

FT:
Also important is an intelligent solution to varying air consumption in the group. Going up to the boat at different times was what I imagined to be the best way. If that's too hard in a strong current and the dive op wants everyone to surface together, one PM suggested that DMs would be open to air-sharing with the air hog. Um? Only has happened once outside training, and I was frankly alarmed when the DM handed buddy his octopus in order to let us keep watching the lovely schooling jacks. While we don't like pissing off fellow clients, we would need more advice before deciding that air-sharing outside of emergencies is in our comfort zone.

I think you should find some ops you are interested and email them and ask questions. All the ones I contacted were very gracious in spending time for detailed answers.

At the time, I didn't even know this was a question. I've since found out that my op will shoot an SMB and send the divers up as they run out of air. From the reviews I've read, it sounds like the DM will accompany new divers to the surface, or just watch experienced divers as they make their way. I don't know for sure if she sends up buddy pairs, or singles, but my buddy and I have decided either way- we will always go together.

Like you, I would not be comfortable with non-emergency air share. I know it works for many- but it does not sound like the practice I would most like to do. At the same time, I do understand there is safety in surfacing as a group.

FT:
Thanks, folks, I'm getting a picture of Cozumel's operating environment, where it seems many people don't actually set out from the dive shop's own premises but rather are picked up from several different locations. I can appreciate that this constrains things in a way I hadn't considered. Storage is only one consideration for us.

Some dive ops will have the entire group ascend when the first diver is low on air, oftentimes extending the LOA diver's time by having him or her share air off the DM's octopus. Personally, I believe the practice is unsafe, yet those who profit from the practice will swear they have yet to have an incident and therefore it must be safe. They also say it's safer ascending as a group because of the boat traffic.

On the other hand, other dive ops will send divers to the surface as they run low, usually in buddy pairs though some of us have been known to surface solo after letting the DM know. In such cases the DM almost universally will send up a surface marker. Stay with the SMB and you'll be just as safe on your own as with a group IMO. As always, be ready to quickly descend in case a speeding boat wants to run over you. Besides listening for engine noise and doing a 360 to check in all directions before ascending, I do another 360 as soon as my head clears the surface with my hand on the inflator valve ready to duck if necessary. But I've never had a boat even come close to me unless it was curious whether I belonged on it.

If you have mixed air consumption, I highly advise going with one of the bigger tank operations. That way, the heavy breather will still be able to enjoy most of the 70-90 minute dive, at least pulling 45-60 minutes. Once the DM knows who runs low first, he or she will hopefully keep that in mind when navigating the dive site, in order to put the group in a shallower spot when the first divers need to ascend, yet managing to keep it interesting for the next 15-20 minutes for those with little lungs.

FT:

Try to keep things in perspective if you can, all this micro scrutinization and disecting of every minute detail of the dive experience only takes place on scubaboard, in real life somehow without it all, there are actually hundreds upon hundreds of divers diving with a variety of dive operators in Cozumel right this moment and most are blissfully having a great time.

FT:

Lots of people do dive with onsite operations as well, and some of those onsite operators are good. I'm thinking that most hotels with dive operations will probably let you use their lockers, and definitely their rinse tanks/outside gear racks (assuming they have them), even if you're not diving with them, which means you don't necessarily have to pick an operator that is going to rinse and store your gear, unless you specifically want that. When we stayed at Hotel Cozumel a year ago, gear storage lockers (and rinse tanks) were available to us, even though we were not using the hotel shop. Blue Angel has a gear locker room that I would think any guest could use (not sure), along with rinse tanks and outside wetsuit racks. I think Villablanca had rinse tanks but no official hanging or storage area. Back in the day, La Ceiba/El Cid also let us use the dive lockers. The in-town places we've stayed had no racks or lockers. We've never cared a lot about that part of an operation's services, since we're schleppers--when you give your gear to an off-site op to take care of, it limits your ability to do a spontaneous shore dive.

Does anyone know of any hotels that won't let guests use the dive lockers if they're diving with someone else?

The combo of snorkeling out front and close to town limits you to a few places to stay. How private do you need your private sun-bathing balcony to be??

Of the operators we've used, the "surface together" model has been common to only a couple. One of those, Aldora, is a premium operator that has a point in giving everyone a big enough tank (and long surface interval) to ensure decently long dives for all, but there are lots of different ways to go. We prefer a lot of space and get it with our most-used dive shop, but I can't say having to surface as a group was in any way a problem with Aldora. We did once bring a friend to Cozumel who ended up on the DM's hose to extend the dive (Aldora model, but not Aldora). She hated it and refused to do further dives with that shop, and I think a few others on the boat were disgruntled that they had someone onboard who caused the dives to be shorter than they could have been. So, different strokes and all that.

Mike has a point--unless you somehow manage to pick an unsafe, cattle-boaty or unfriendly shop (of which I don't think there are many on Cozumel), or one with sucky rental equipment, you're probably going to have a great time no matter what.

Last edited by a moderator:
FT:
Does anyone know of any hotels that won't let guests use the dive lockers if they're diving with someone else?

It used to be that way at Casa del Mar and Del Mar Aquatics, but that changed a few years ago. Now it seems to be "first come, first served", though I suspect that if Del Mar had divers that couldn't get a locker, they'd find out who was staying at CDM but not diving with them, and ask that they vacate in favor of their diver. I've been at CDM when there were several large dive groups there, and couldn't get a locker, but it only lasted a few days and then I was in.

When they changed the policy, it was a very welcome change. Prior, they wouldn't let me use a locker even when I offered to pay, and there were plenty of open lockers.

-Blair

Indeed, (a) a good time is pretty much guaranteed even though (b) I won't get everything on my wish list.

For example, Ms. Ann remarked:

"The combo of snorkeling out front and close to town limits you to a few places to stay. How private do you need your private sun-bathing balcony to be??"

El Cantil duly reserved, for a 2/3. The balcony won't be private, by the looks of things.

I think I have my shortlist for dive ops now and will be in touch with them all.

See you underwater!

El Cantil is a very nice place, it's always our first choice in Cozumel assuming the budget. Way too many great places to eat in town vs. staying in a AI. Balcony shouldn't be a problem unless your on the corner of either tower and then, you will only see the unit in the other tower.

We have used Aldora, Liquid Blue and Living Underwater for diving in the past and your can't go wrong with any of them. Aldora was the first to come up with the business model and the original owners of Liquid Blue and Living Underwater were past employees of Aldora and followed the Aldora model when they started up but only ran one or two boats over the years. Dave has been able continued to grow the number of boats in his operation.

If you don't care about steel tanks, but sure to look at Blue XT Sea, Bottom Time and Sea Robin.

FT:
"The combo of snorkeling out front and close to town limits you to a few places to stay. How private do you need your private sun-bathing balcony to be??"

El Cantil duly reserved, for a 2/3. The balcony won't be private, by the looks of things.
For better privacy, consider a rooftop pool room at Secrets/Aura. Private rooftop "solarium" plus a small pool to boot.

I stayed there back when Aldora still handled wetsuits, so I wouldn't know.

The other difference is how far you need to trudge with your dripping wetsuit. In Bonaire, I drive up close to the gear storage room, grab my stuff, throw it in the back of the truck along with some tanks. Then I park usually within a few steps of the waterline. At the resorts, benches for doffing gear and rinse tanks are right by the dock where you climb out of the water.

In Cozumel, one might have to drag the dripping wetsuit a couple blocks in town, or a long distance through an AI resort property, or through a sparkling marble-floored hotel lobby like at the Palace.

Wow. Surely this is satirical. Buy a small dry bag, stick your wetsuit in it and stop being a ***** (small, helpless kitten).

Back
Top Bottom