Dive Op from Lahaina? Ed Robinsons? Diving West vs. South Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're headed to Maui next month for the first time. I think we'll do some diving from Lahaina a few days then switch south from Kihei with Ed Robinsons and dive two or three days with them.

I haven't found a dive op from Lahaina yet. Lahaina will be closer to where we will be staying. From my research and reading on the board the dive ops would dive Molokai, Lanai and local spots near their location. It seems that some of these ops would go south, but you would encounter longer boat rides. Is this true? Are there any ops that you recommend from Lahaina that would cater to more experienced divers? If so, please let me know about the boats, overall experience, etc.

From the south, leaving from Kihei pier, I have picked Ed Robinsons. It seems that the drive time will be longer from where we are staying (about 30 min), but the boat rides would be shorter. They also seem to cater to more experienced divers. Any thoughts here?

What is the difference between diving from the West vs. South?

Take a look at Lahaina Divers. Even though they have big boats they break everyone up into smaller groups and on the ride over to Lanai you'll appreciate the bigger boat.

We dive with Ed Robinson's, driving down from Kaanapali daily.....well worth the drive IMO.

I don't know that there are really any dive ops out of Lahaina that cater to experienced divers. Extended Horizons is probably the closest you'll come, and Lahaina Divers is definitely geared toward the less experienced diver IMO. We dive with Lahaina Divers to Lanai because the crossing is far more comfortable on their big 46' Newton boats than smaller boats, and they definitely try to divide the groups by experience level, but realistically even though we're usually first off and last on the boat, our dives rarely exceed 50 minutes and we often return to the boat with over 1000psi in our AL72 tanks.

You'll likely get some advice from some divers currently on Maui that can be more exact - but as a former Maui Instructor I thought I'd try to help with some basics. In Lahaina to my knowledge the two primary boats are from Lahaina Divers and Extended Horizons. I continue to see good reviews here on the board from Extended Horizons. They go out of Mala Wharf on the north end of Lahaina. Mornings they generally make the Lanai run, but will jump at the chance to hit Molokai if the weather is right. It's some pretty great diving over there with the chance at encountering Hammerheads. On Lanai "Second Cathedral" is a great dive as well as "Monolyth" (sp?). The pier at Mala Wharf is also a GREAT shore dive. Frogfish, turtles, whitetips, nudibranchs etc... If you choose Extended Horizons seek out the owner Eric Stein. He'll guide you in the right direction in terms of a trip to suit your needs.

Kihei is great for the quick run over to Molokini for some great dives on the corners and of course the back wall. I always had great experiences with Mike Severns in terms of doing things a little more on the advanced side - but to be fair have heard many great things re: Ed Robinsons as well.

I know the Molokini runs for the back wall didn't go every day so book that one in advance so you don't miss out.

Shaka Doug is a great resource for Maui Diving if you can track him down on the board....

Take a look at Lahaina Divers. Even though they have big boats they break everyone up into smaller groups and on the ride over to Lanai you'll appreciate the bigger boat.

How long is the boat ride from to Lanai?

I never keep track of stuff like that because I'm there to enjoy the ride and sometimes you'll follow a pod of spinner dolphins but it was less than an hour.

Scuba Monster...check out the thread entitled Lahaina Divers Question: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/337226-lahaina-divers-question.html

Could not recommend Lahaina Divers for andvance diver...unless you wish to share responsibility of other less experiance divers in your group. For the Lahaina area...I can however, recommend Hawaiian Rafting Adventures (Diving charters to Lanai and Maui, SDI, PADI, TDI scuba classes, scuba gear and underwater photo/video), they are near the Mala Pier.

Also Ed Robinson is for advance divers.

Have fun...

Lahaina Divers boat ride to Lanai is about 40 minutes. I have 6 years of diving with Lahaina Divers and enjoy the crew and convenience from Kaanapali.

Out of Lahaina, choose Extended Horizons.
Out of Kihei, choose Mike Severns.

Back
Top Bottom