Dive-op advice needed: in Wailea (Maui) for newly-certified diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for some fairly specific advice. I'll be staying in Wailea (Maui) in late August. This will be my first dive as a certified diver. (Though I did 4 discover scuba dives in Kaui last year.)

So I'm looking for a dive operation that will:
(a) have dives no deeper than 60'.
(b) not hold my hand completely, but at least have watchful eye in my
direction and/or pair me up with a buddy tolerant of essentially being a newbie.
(c) boat dives preferred (i've done boat and shore dives, like boat dives a lot more)

Any recommendations (or just as importantly, places to avoid if you feel that way)?

Thanks!

I think the best op for you would be B&B Scuba in Kihei. They launch just up the road from the entrance to Wailea.

Their normal pattern is to go to Molokini and do a "deep" dive and then a pretty shallow one as the second dive. They have good people as their DM's and I'm quite sure will gladly keep you "shallow."

I've done several dives with them and always use their shop when I'm on Maui (which is where my parents live so I get over there fairly often).

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to the main Ohana forum

Honestly the only boat operator I can think of that keeps most of their dives to the 60-65 foot range is Lahaina Divers (except their Carthaginian and Molokini backwall charters). However, as their name implies, they depart out of Lahaina which obviously isn't anywhere close to Wailea. Very good operation (IMO) for the beginner or occasional diver who wants more supervision/support.

If you really want to boat dive, calling B&B is a very good suggestion. Although they may not limit their locations to a 60' max depth, they should be able to go to a site with multiple depths where you can stay above 60'. They've also been known to put extra DMs in the water with groups of inexperienced divers.

If you might consider an excellent shore diving experience, Shaka Doug is HIGHLY recommended as an excellent guide and instructor. Maui Dreams is also a good shore diving choice.

Regardless of what you choose, make sure you let the operator, boat captain, and DMs know of your needs before the dive.

Back
Top Bottom