Dive Oahu - - Recommended Dive Shops???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deuces6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I will be in Oahu 19-26 March and are hoping to dive several times during our visit. We are relatively new divers (ony a couple of dives in Cabo San Lucas last summer since getting Open Water and Advanced Open Water certification in June 2010). We would appreciate recommended dive shops with which posters on this site have had great experiences. Suggestions?

Off the top of my head:

Kaimana Divers (Gabe is Awesome)
ScubaDrew
Island Divers Hawaii

and if nobody else can get you to the west side of Oahu I recommend Ocean Concepts. West side is great, but it is a drive.

Peace,
Greg

Gabe, Since Kaimana has such a great reputation, I think it would be a mistake not to dive with you while we are in Oahu. A couple of points and a couple of questions:

Point 1: I'm a pretty big guy, 5'11" and about 235, so I seem to go through air pretty quickly. I've had experience with bad gear that's caused even quicker air use than if equipped with good gear (bad BCD hookup to tanks, leaking BCD, etc.)
Point 2: We'll have a rental car, so we could meet you wherever we'd need to for the dives, but please provide good directions unless you intend to pick us up (we'll be staying at Waikiki, Hale Koa).
Point 3: We'll bring our masks, snorkels and flippers, but will need all other gear.
Question 1: Do you use integrated BCDs for weights or weight belts?
Question 2: We've been in the pool to work on bouyancy (last weekend and hopefully next weekend), but have not been in open water since July 2010. Anything else we need to do to get ready to dive again?
Questions 3: We'd like to dive several dives while in Oahu. Any deals for quantity dives?

Hope to see you in a couple of weeks.

Rich

Thx for the good info. I'll let you know how it goes and who it goes with.

Aloha Rich.....

Looking forward to building a schedule that works best with your abilities and your timing. We do offer a 10 Dive Package for $495. This price includes all the rental gear (regs/BCDS/wetsuits) etc, but by all means bring your own masks and fins if you are comfortable with them!

We use both integrated and non integrated weight systems. Depending on your requirements we can usually arrange for either. We should also be able to provide transportation but most of our guests prefer to meet us at the harbors (that way they can come and go on their own schedules).

I'm stoked you have done some pool sessions..... you will find Oahu diving to be awesome and be so excited to be back in the water. Please send me an email on the contact form on my website detailing which days you would like to dive and we can begin to build you a custom dive iten.

Again, thanks for the questions and we'll talk soon!

Mahalo,

G

I haven't met Gabe personally, but I've met the people who work for him and they are top notch. Enjoy your stay and have fun diving!

Michael

Ive dove with Gabe. I do not hesitiate to recommend to others, and next time I am in town, he will be the first operation I call to book diving. Deffinitly top rate operation. It can only get better now that I hear that he has opened his own shop.

Just to add my two cents:
Several years ago, I dove with Darren Fox at another shop. He nows runs Ocean Legends: oceanlegends dot com. (Sorry, I'm new, and can't post URLs until my 5th post) :(

I can't recommend him highly enough. Absolutely top notch, and while I haven't dived with his current operation, based only on my experience with him, I'm sure he runs a supremely professional organization.

On the North Shore, I had a very good diving experience with Deep Ecology back in October:
oahuscubadive dot com

Definitely good people.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom