Dive 'n Curacao, any input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so they can charge what they want

I agree with you that they can charge whatever they want for anything they have. Airlines can charge baggage fees, and hotels can change "resort fees" (even if you're just using the room). However, that doesn't mean it will annoy some people. It's my preference to get one charge for tanks and weights. Folks that can put lead in their luggage (which I might do when I visit) may be happy with their pricing schedule. Just not me.

Snowman, on the list of things to be worried about or annoyed with on a dive trip, and there are not that many, I don't see how $2 for weights makes the list.

Snowman, on the list of things to be worried about or annoyed with on a dive trip, and there are not that many, I don't see how $2 for weights makes the list.

It's called a pet peeve. The charge on the link I clicked on was $5/day.

For multi-day use you may want to ask if they can cut you a deal. One of my dive trips I was annoyed at the cost of weight rental, and figured out I could buy weights cheaper than rent them for the time I planned to dive. I brought that up, and I think got half-off the weight rental or some such (arranged in advance of the trip). When it's cheaper to buy, I figure buy and at the end of the trip give them to somebody! This wasn't a Curacao trip, but the basic principle is the same.

Now if you're really cheap, take a portable luggage scale and go find yourself a mix of 2, 3 and 4 lbs. rocks... :wink: (Seriously, I've done stuff not entirely unlike that).

For multi-day use you may want to ask if they can cut you a deal.

Great advice but since we're airing pet peeves, mine is having to ask. Just price sensibly in the first place. I hate haggling.

Great advice but since we're airing pet peeves, mine is having to ask. Just price sensibly in the first place. I hate haggling.

Agreed! I am a terrible haggler. I rarely buy any goods from Cozumel since I cringe at the idea of negotiating. I see both sides of the discussion regarding weight rental. I can understand a business charging $5 a day for weight rentals,then reducing the daily charge the more days you are booked to dive. A few years ago when my husband were on a dive vacation(elsewhere), the dive ops kept pushing for us to book a boat dive. Not only do I enjoy the freedom of shore diving, I also get horrible seasickness on a boat. The dive op made us feel like we were being cheap by booking only shore dives. I get it, the revenue made from shore diving probably sucks. Tons of physical work and maintenance for a small profit. I am all for a free market, and if they need to raise tank rental rates, so be it.

Good to know, @Curacao Sunshine. Same price as Amazon Prime in the USA, basically.

We often bring our own weights on longer trips because when shore diving, we do have to rent them if we don't have a tank package.

Plus, we don't always dive every single day on a long (30+ day) trip, but also snorkel / free dive. Like to have a 1 or a 2 pounder when doing so.

So, it depends on flights. If we have the baggage allowance, we use it. If not, we rent or buy at location if the shop doesn't include them, let us use them on non-diving days.

Note: TSA does officially say dive weights are allowed, for what it is worth. It is very difficult to find the references to that, however. Americans often forget that TSA rules are only relevant to US-origin flights, of course, and airlines an/or security in other places may not agree.

(Will edit this with screen shot of TSA @AskTSA Twitter redponse to this question)

Back
Top Bottom