Dive 'n Curacao, any input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johncn two options come to mind given the relatively long time you will be on the island, the sporadic nature of the diving and your location is A. just pick up tanks near where you will be: some at Gowest, some at Lagun Bahia, some at other locations with dive ops such as Bdiving at Cas Aboao. Another option might be a dive card at Lagun Bahia divers for most of your tanks. You can buy a card for x number of tanks and use it as you need it with no time limitation. See Diving - Bahia Apartments & Diving, Look under the tab for pricelist. I only used them once but I liked them. The tank card may give you the flexibility you are looking for.

Hey tkaelin,

Thanks for the tip. I checked it out, and that is the sort of thing we were hoping for....seems to work out at about $8 per tank, and can be shared between members of a group or a couple. We do appreciate the tip. Google Maps says 8 minutes from where we are staying. I will try to find out if Dive'n Curacao will do something similar, because of proximity, but it's great to know that there may be a solution fairly close by Marazul if they will not.

Johncn

bahia_tank_card_info.jpg

Your welcome. I was also intrigued by this option. I am assuming I could use it on future trips if some left over and could work well for us as some days my wife dives one dive, sometimes two. Some dives I can dive 4 or 5 and some days 3 and on those days some tanks we will just rent on site such as Gowest/Playa Kalki and Bdiving/Cas Abou. Ultimately on this trip I just decided to do an unlimited air and nitrox package at Lagun Blou as they have the tanks on site and will do most of my diving there.

When I went to Bahia diving that one time, I went to pick up 63s for my wife. The shop seemed well-stocked and the staff was friendly and seemed professional.

Good luck.

I can understand charging for lost weights, but I think it's a bit absurd to have a daily rental charge.

The shops I've used don't if you buy a package. Not sure why they shouldn't if you're renting by the tank. You are tying up their property. How's it different than the tank? The ones I've seen that charge for weights usually charge a bit less per tank so if you get both it comes out about the same as the ones that include weights. Just another way to do things that might actually be more flexible if you're a local, condo owner, or snowbirder with your own resources. It's easy enough to do the math. Not everyone fits in the same tourist pigeon hole. :) Might be why Bahia Diving's tank card works out to ~ $8 or so/tank. Not saying it is, but I would check on it if it matters that much to you. It looks like a flexible option. I've also rented tanks at Bahia Diving when diving Lagun and it was a very nice shop.

For example:
For the BEST rates for diving or kayaking in Curacao I contact our shop - Bdiving
Diving - Bahia Apartments & Diving

Do the tank cards include weights?

I think the shops are entitled to whatever price model they choose but I think there are two reasons why many are put off by being charged for weights. For one, it seems most places I've dived around the world include weights with the tank. Even in Curacao they do with packages and boat dives so what's different? They sorta go hand in hand, at least for tourists, and the person that needs one will need the other. For another, there is the perceived "markup" in that the weights are costing about a third of the tank but cost only a fraction of a tank and have unlimited lifespan and incur no maintenance or labor or ongoing business expense (like compressors for air fills).

The shops I've used don't if you buy a package. Not sure why they shouldn't if you're renting by the tank. You are tying up their property. How's it different than the tank? The ones I've seen that charge for weights usually charge a bit less per tank so if you get both it comes out about the same as the ones that include weights. Just another way to do things that might actually be more flexible if you're a local, condo owner, or snowbirder with your own resources. It's easy enough to do the math. Not everyone fits in the same tourist pigeon hole. :) Might be why Bahia Diving's tank card works out to ~ $8 or so/tank. Not saying it is, but I would check on it if it matters that much to you. It looks like a flexible option. I've also rented tanks at Bahia Diving when diving Lagun and it was a very nice shop.

For example:
For the BEST rates for diving or kayaking in Curacao I contact our shop - Bdiving
Diving - Bahia Apartments & Diving

When was the last time you saw weights being refilled? A more apt comparison might be a mask, but I would still contend that masks need to be replaced much more often than weights due to wear and tear.

Ask the dive op. I suspect they will give you a rational explanation for their pricing and charges. My guess is that they lose weights or go missing more often then you would think. When I worked as guide, someone dropped a weight or weight belt just about every day. Most eventually recovered but that was a function of where we were.

Ask the dive op. I suspect they will give you a rational explanation for their pricing and charges. My guess is that they lose weights or go missing more often then you would think. When I worked as guide, someone dropped a weight or weight belt just about every day. Most eventually recovered but that was a function of where we were.

That makes sense if they don't charge you for lost weights and the rental charge is essentially covering loss. They probably find a lot of weights they didn't lose, as well. I've found weights in various dive destinations and I always leave them with the op since they aren't allowed in carry-on and I'm usually struggling to get my checked under the limit.

When was the last time you saw weights being refilled? A more apt comparison might be a mask, but I would still contend that masks need to be replaced much more often than weights due to wear and tear.

Sorry, I don't see what that has to do with anything. They made the investment for weights, so they can charge what they want. You're paying for the convenience of not having to drag them with you. Same with the tank. You're not just paying for the fill, but also the convenience of using their tank. If you read my post you would see that it's generally just price structure. You can pay $11 for a tank that includes weights or $8 for a tank and $3 for weights. What's the difference...unless you already have your weights (local, condo owner, long stay snowbirder) and just need a tank. Seems kind of like "free nitrox" or a "free soda with fill up." Nothing is really "free." :)

If you're buying a package it's easier for everyone to include weights in the package because the assumption is you're getting multiple tanks a day possibly over multiple days (they aren't charging you for weights for every tank you use). Same with the boat, you're using their tanks on their boat so they include weights and make a boat package. It's easier to keep track that way. If you're just renting a single tank, it's just a one off and you may only need the tank so why charge you for the weights... LOL, honestly I'm just speculating. I haven't really given it that much thought since the cost works out to be about the same (at least in my experience in Curacao). :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom