dive master water skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a personal comment on the OP but an observation that occurred while reading the thread:

Shouldn't one be capable enough to do the water test without a lot of preperation or cutting corners? After all, isn't the purpose to see if one is physically capable of rendering assistance to a diver in need. I think, if someone is seriously going to become a divemaster, they should have the physical capacity to exert themselves (as in a tow or rescue) anytime ie. as a baseline of conditioning. If one stuggles with this portion of the course, should they really be thinking of taking responsibility for other divers in the water?

An interesting post. These questions are addressed in detail in my Going Pro thread "Change the Stamina tests". Am wondering if you would consider "drown proofing" as cutting corners. If so, I would suggest that the idea is to be able to float if you ever have to, without BCD, fins, etc.--no matter how you do it. As far as being able to do the tests without a lot of preparation--having not swam (basically at all) for 40 years since H.S. swim team, I had to get my swim form and swimming muscles in shape (though I considered myself--as did my doctor-- to be in very good shape for my age). This took a "lot of preparation"--for the 400, not for everything else. Also, speaking of being ready for needed tows and rescues: I couldn't agree more. But many feel these tests have nothing to do with the practical aspects of rescuing someone. I feel they should be changed to reflect that.

Personally, I think drown proofing is one of the best skills any person active on the water can have, primarily because it gives one the confidence not to panic when presented with an emergency situation.
My thinking on the subject was that the swimming test should be a level that DM's aspire to all the time and not a hurdle to perform once.

I'm taking my dive master water skills later this evening. wondering any tips in preventing cramps during the swimming tests or any other suggestion for the other tests. underwater swim, tread water, equipment exchange, 400 swim or 800 legs only. Thanks for any input.

What kind of fins? If you are diving paddle fins - mix it up a bit with the kick style. Dolphin kick works good with paddle fins. Actually it gives the legs a little different workout no matter what fins you are using.

Personally, I think drown proofing is one of the best skills any person active on the water can have, primarily because it gives one the confidence not to panic when presented with an emergency situation.
My thinking on the subject was that the swimming test should be a level that DM's aspire to all the time and not a hurdle to perform once.

Agree completely with that. Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. Thought you meant that anyone who didn't ace the stamina tests the first try should call it quits, which may eliminate many good candidates. Drown proofing gives everyone who uses it an almost effortless "5". The tow and 800 are two tests that one should always be able to knock off, as they pretty much involve overall leg strength and conditioning. The 400 is something that will (IMO) fall off dramatically if you don't swim regularly.

This may be a newbie question but what is drown proofing?

It is a basic water skill in which you take a breath, lay face down in the water arms outstretched and relax. Your head may sink a bit (or not depending on your bodies natural bouyancy) but not to worry, when you need another breath you bring your arms together slowly and lift your face just enough to clear the surface. With some practice you can develop a slow steady breathing rhythm and remain in the water using very little effort for hours, depending on the water temp of course. Hence the name, drown proofing. From the surface, someone drownproofing should look like a dead body floating face down that lifts only it's face every so often.

There must be a video of it somewhere on youtube, though it would be very boring to watch.

The reason I think it is so valuable is that it breaks the urge to panic when exit from the water is not immediately available. This also speaks to the notion that people don't need to be strong swimmers (or swimmers at all) to go diving. While that may be technically true, a poor/non swimmer is going to have a very strong urge to panic when something goes wrong in the water. It may be one reason that troubled divers sometimes surface but are later found on the bottom with functional BC's and their weight belts on. They may simply lack the core belief that they can stay afloat and in a crisis forget the tools they have around them.

It also helps in the surf zone or when screwing around with gear during a shore entry/exit. I am quite comfortable with the sensation of being submerged... knowing I will surface eventually for a breath.

For the 800yd swim with fins try not to kick constantly. I found that doing a nice long kick followed by a glide then another long kick with my alternate leg really helped in conserving my energy. YMMV
Just remember to keep your fins under the water. I found myself kicking sorta down and out from my body, rather and just out and behind me like I normally do when horizontal under the water.

DaleC, Regarding keeping in shape to always be able to do well on the 400 I forgot to mention that I did a"swim poll" a couple of years ago on the Going Pro Forum (page 6 now). It basically showed that probably less than half of dive pros do any serious swimming after passing the DM tests. One can only speculate what that means.

DaleC,

Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

You're welcome Clay.

I don't know what it means (shrugs). I try not to be one of those "things were better in the good ol days" sorts because things weren't always that good but I do think there is a different approach to diving these days. There was perhaps more discretion in the past? Today, some people who should not be DM's are being sold the course regardless, in order to turn a profit; probably by instructors who shouldn't be instructors either. In my mind perhaps 1/10 divers actually have the physical, mental and emotional make up to be "dive professionals" if they really apply themselves to it. It's a pretty big responsibility really when you think of it.

I also think that the current trend towards technology and "dive from your doorstep" guided service has duped many into forgetting that diving is really swimming underwater. One can get away with that lapse of course, until one actually has to swim for it that is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom