dive master water skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowler800

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm taking my dive master water skills later this evening. wondering any tips in preventing cramps during the swimming tests or any other suggestion for the other tests. underwater swim, tread water, equipment exchange, 400 swim or 800 legs only. Thanks for any input.

I've heard eating bananas help with the cramps. I think its because it contains Magnesium and Potassium (electrolytes) which are one of the reasons for exercise related cramps.

Dehydration is another.. so drink water before your test.

Also, just like any other physical activity, you should warm up...a lot of people think that warming up is useless...but it is probably the single most important thing to do before exercising :)

Hope this helps...and good luck :)

I'll give the banana's a try! anyone doing these tests that have not practiced the swimming portions of the test have a rude awakening. Swimming for time doesn't come easy for most people, even for those who think they are in shape. thanks for the suggestions.

Hi Bowler800, When all is over, come back and say how it went

I didn't prepare and I scored 4's on both swims and 5's on the tired diver tow and treading water

Don't like Bananas. Cramps are a matter of heredity for me, from slight to almost debilitating. The answer for me was over-the-counter potassium pills. Way less cramps now even in icy cold water.

I agree with the previous post - Stay Hydrated & Warm up/Stretch before you do it!

I teach PADI courses so the following info is based off their Dive Master course and what I have seen/recommend over the years... if you are taking your course through a different cert agency use what you can of this info...

If it is an option - I would break it into 2 different sessions. I usually have my DMCs do the 800 & Tread the first night and then the 400, Tow & Exchange the 2nd Night. Most people who are taking the DM course are not Olympic swimmers. So for the average person, all this swimming for time will just kick their ass and have their scores/times drop because of that if doing it all in one session.

Pace yourself with the swims (400 & 800) - if you start out giving it everything you got, you will tire quickly which then will make everything that much harder to complete and will effect your times. It will also make the swims/skills after the swims more difficult because you are tired.

On the tow - Yes give it everything you got - it's only 100 yards!

For the 800 I recommend to my DMCs to use split fins, if they are not already. This will be easier on the legs, reduce cramps, and I have seen better times. I also recommend using a snorkel that has a open top (no wave guard, or dry top) - less restriction/easier air exchange.

Equipment Exchange - Timing is everything. Just like the swims get into a rhythm and pace yourself. Don't try to do everything all at once. This is a problem solving exercise.

Tread - Tilt your head back and look at the sky! This changes your body position in the water which will help to keep your head above water when you are tired.

Underwater Swim - ???? not something that is required in the PADI DM course.

The most import is keep a positive attitude and have fun!

Welcome to the professional side of scuba diving!

hang10dive, Not to go too far off topic, but-- For the tread, what do you think of drown proofing? Being so negatively buoyant (legs especially), this was the only way I could do this (and get a "5" with hands out last 2 minutes). Do you, or have you heard of Instructors that do not permit this? Is it something all Instructors should mention before the tests begin?

Not a personal comment on the OP but an observation that occurred while reading the thread:

Shouldn't one be capable enough to do the water test without a lot of preperation or cutting corners? After all, isn't the purpose to see if one is physically capable of rendering assistance to a diver in need. I think, if someone is seriously going to become a divemaster, they should have the physical capacity to exert themselves (as in a tow or rescue) anytime ie. as a baseline of conditioning. If one stuggles with this portion of the course, should they really be thinking of taking responsibility for other divers in the water?

Back
Top Bottom