Dive Master vs Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
For the purpose of running dive trips (more so snorkeling trips) with no interest in certifying divers, is there any real benefit to becoming an instructor vs. stopping at Dive Master?

I realize being an instructor would make me more employable in some locations, but I am also a captain and for now I'm just planning on working for myself. We're already doing sailing and kayaking charters, but there's much more demand for snorkeling around here...and I'd rather be out on one of the reefs anyway.

Also does dive professional insurance generally protect you against in water accidents only when you're actually in the water with the divers? Getting coverage for in water accidents is my main reason for considering going pro. And with the layout of my boat I'd probably really just be doing snorkeling, not diving.

I am sure others with more experience will chime in...but I think you should go thru an IDC + IE. This could complement your current business plan and provide more charter oportunities (a docked boat still has expenses). Maybe look at keeping the dive training a private affair...quality vs quantity.

IF you are just planning on working for yourself, and you primarily need the insurance, and are just leading snorklers, I would think that DM would be fine. Call one of the many insurance agancies (V&B, Willis, etc) to findout for sure. There is probably also vessle/business liability insurance that is required, that I would think you already have.

If you are ever thinking of working for someone else, DM is a waste of time (aside from it being a pre-req). Instructors are a dime a dozen, so why bother with hiring DM? A DM with a tonnage license is a little different though...

Good point Oldbear! Private would be an option. Maybe even term charters that include training throughout the week. There's another captain with the same boat as us, and not too far from here, who was doing that for a while.

I'm also considering a big relocation to somewhere where we'd be in much higher demand, even without the diving or snorkeling. And where we'd have much easier access to reefs just for ourselves on days that we aren't working.

DM is fine- no need for instructor rating if you're not instructing.

PADI DM's can also conduct DSD's if they 'PADI' to the machine.

DM is fine- no need for instructor rating if you're not instructing.

PADI DM's can also conduct DSD's if they 'PADI' to the machine.

grouchyturtle,

This is true, but a DM can only conduct a Discover Scuba Diving in a pool or "confined open water". Keep that in mind as you are thinking of your business plan.

Back
Top Bottom