• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Dive Master gear set up

Discussion in 'Going Pro' started by Josefson, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Josefson

Josefson Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    U used the long hose on the first device? And also a bungee on the second dev.?

2. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I just completed the PADI DM course in a Hydros Pro with an Air2 setup. I added a standard safe second so that it looked more like what the students were using but did not change out my AI computer. I did mine in a tad over two weeks with some extra dive leading in there as I'm going back for the three month instructor class.

About halfway thru my course, I wished I had brought my jacket BC with me too. Here's an old mans take on what you are about to do:

1) A PADI divemaster can teach DSD, DLD, and reactivates (with technicalities) The DSD is real basic, the student will be in rental gear and it'd be way better if you didn't confuse them by showing them something different then they are using - IMO

2) If you're doing a 3 month intern, I'm betting you're gonna be the dog helping instructors during any classes - it's a big part of helping you learn more towards the being an actual instructor. It's a huge benefit in wearing what the students are wearing plus, the right jacket BC has all sorts of spaces for you to stash wet notes and your slates that you'll constantly be referring to. This is all referring to pool work, but maybe even use the jacket when you do the first few OW dives with the students.

3) You'll be doing a lot of diving, leading and learning how to lead - most of those divers will probably be knowledgeable and you really want to be in your comfort zone. You want to look sharp and not breathe, cause it's damn embarassing flopping your arms around and being the one that ends the dive cause your low on air. When you're in the open water, dive what you're most comfortable in, whatever the rig may be.

4) Now maybe you're superman but I ain't - you got a 400m swim that only the Lord can help you with. The 800m swim is with fins - find superman fins, big SOB's, something that'll make you fly! The 200m tired diver tow, use them big fins here too and find yourself a deco bottle, oh my body woulda loved 100% here but I did it on air. The 15 minute tread water, learn to float - we couldn't use a wet suit but my dive shorts are 1mil, anything helps. I held my hands out of the water the last six minutes begging for some credit on the 400m but didn't get it.....

5) Equipment exchange under water - think that thru and have a plan with your partner. Be way over weighted, or at least make sure your partners BC isn't gonna cause you to go positive, you want to be planted on the bottom. You want your BC to come off easy and your partner has to get it back on. Take your time and follow your plan.

6) The rescue diver portion, when you bring a non breathing diver to the side of the pool. Sometimes you get out of your BC doing this - it's easier sometimes if your shoulder straps will un clip just the same as the diver you are helping, it's easier to get them out if you un clip and sink their BC away.

Basically I'm saying, have two rigs - one for pool and open water diving with students, the second one for real diving. Practice practice practice your 24 skills, get them demonstration quality, take your time doing them, do them like you are showing a new student.

geogator and George Monnat Jr like this.
  3. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Agree on all points. Also agree with Bowers in that it's fine to use your own/different gear on the OW dives. The basics have already been taught, save for a couple of skills.

George Monnat Jr and mainedvr like this.
  4. mainedvr

mainedvr Instructor, Scuba

When I did my Instructor Exam we had folks in BPW, SM, and then your standard OW configurations. PADI seemed to encourage it so I don't think the standard they are setting is by PADI but their own. IMHO
    Myself I use a standard OW set up with for the pool to demo the skills this way it at least looks like what the student has typically and makes it easier in my opinion for them to learn it. When we hit OW I dive my normal BPW and hose configuration. Hope this helps.

George Monnat Jr likes this.
  5. Landau

Landau Divemaster

Besides the Lord. any decent swim coach or instructor can help you with the 400 swim.

And bigger fins aren't necessarily better for everyone. I'm faster in my Scubapro Go's than my much larger Mares Avanti Quatros. I'm an ex-competitive swimmer and do better with faster kick cycle. I'm not very muscular but I've got enduance and broke 11 minute for the 800m snorkel gear swim - at age 55. So you might want to experiment with differnt fins to see which work best for you.

ChuckP likes this.
  6. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

I’m 52, I own a landscape company but still work. It’s not a big deal to handle 10k lbs of block before lunch and it wasn’t many years ago I could work any young kid into tears.

I thought I was in shape, but oh was I wrong. The physical part of the course was the hardest for me. Mentally, nothing in the world will ever stop me, I’ll never give up or quit, ever.

Sub 11 minute 800 meter, heck yes! I was like low 13 if I remember right lol. Smoking and scuba do not go together......

George Monnat Jr likes this.
  7. Bowers

Bowers Public Safety Diver

yes, 7' primary with a 24" secondary on a necklace.

8. Divenut1959

Divenut1959 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199

May I ask what your time was for the 400M and 800M endurance tests? Thanks

9. ChuckP

ChuckP Manta Ray

I think the 400m was like 14 minutes, only got 1 point and knew that one was my real problem one.

The 800m was 16:40??, 3 points

Both those swims were halfway with and halfway against the current in Cozumel

3:40 in the 100m tow, 3 points - no current

I just seen he only gave me four points for the float, I literally had my hands out of the water the last six minutes.....

10. mmerriman

mmerriman Captain

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    4 on the tread? Not possible. I'd challenge that -

Exercise 2: 15-minute Tread
    Tread water, drown-proof, bob or float using no aids and
    wearing only a swimsuit for 15 minutes, with hands (not
    arms) out of the water during the last two minutes.
    Exceptions: A candidate with a physical impairment that makes it difficult/
    impossible to hold hands out of the water is exempted from that
    portion of the exercise with no effect on the score.

Criteria Score
    Performed satisfactorily 5
    Stayed afloat, but hands not out of 3
    water the entire two minutes
    Used side/bottom for momentary 1
    support no more than twice
    Used side/bottom for support incomplete
    more than twice