Dive Master gear set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 24 skills are easier in a jacket.

Blasphemy - I've read countless posts here that say a BP/W is better in every way :wink:

More seriously - I'm a DM in training and my gear is a little different that what the shop rents to students and a couple of the instructors use it as a teaching opportunity - "When doing your buddy check look at your buddy's octo - he might have one like Landau's with the purge button on top instead of in front"

More seriously - I'm a DM in training and my gear is a little different that what the shop rents to students and a couple of the instructors use it as a teaching opportunity - "When doing your buddy check look at your buddy's octo - he might have one like Landau's with the purge button on top instead of in front"

I've had instructors do the same with my gear so good point. I also frequently use extra gear with students (long-hose octo instead of Air2 to share during safety stop for students low on air, steel 100 cuft instead of Al 80s so I can chase students all over, sometimes weight belt I can clip on grossly underweighted students, etc.).

Did the instructor say why you can't just use shop gear? Not enough? I used shop gear for the pool and my own for the OW dives, but I'm sure I could've used shop stuff there too. As mentioned, it makes sense for students seeing you in the exact same stuff they have--especially for demos.

Did the instructor say why you can't just use shop gear? Not enough? I used shop gear for the pool and my own for the OW dives, but I'm sure I could've used shop stuff there too. As mentioned, it makes sense for students seeing you in the exact same stuff they have--especially for demos.

Nop, they didn´t tell me the reason.
Maybe not enough, maybe cuz he want I am convenient with my own gear, maybe just stubburn ;-)

It would make everything way easier if I could use the shop gear for the demos...

An option is to add a quick release to one of your PB/W shoulder straps and skip the crotch strap during class.
Your BC, like their's, has:
- a waist belt
- a quick release shoulder strap
- integrated weight pockets or weight belt
If you skip the 7' hose but still dive primary donate:
- you donate from the mouth and your backup air is close at hand, like those on Air2s

You do all the drills the same as them, just yours is built from a metal plate, likely has two cam straps instead of one, and has less padding.

I can understand not wanting DM candidates to use certain specialty type equipment. Don't exactly want OW students trying to learn skills from someone in a FFM. But why not a BP/W? I agree that it teaches students diversity in other divers' kits and teaches them to look for certain things during buddy checks instead of just assuming their buddy's setup is exactly the same as their's. That could create problems in an emergency situation. Not only that, but it might show students other types of gear that could work better for them after they're certified and actually help shops sell MORE gear. Just my opinion though.

I just gone through what you look forward to do.

I did everything in BP/W with one piece harnes, no problem at all. The skill when taking on and of equipment in the water is not hard, its harder do don and doff on land.

When doing pool sessions and I should show secondary donate i used same hose lengths as the others, but all other I used longhose primary donate and bungie secondary.

I can understand not wanting DM candidates to use certain specialty type equipment. Don't exactly want OW students trying to learn skills from someone in a FFM. But why not a BP/W? I agree that it teaches students diversity in other divers' kits and teaches them to look for certain things during buddy checks instead of just assuming their buddy's setup is exactly the same as their's. That could create problems in an emergency situation. Not only that, but it might show students other types of gear that could work better for them after they're certified and actually help shops sell MORE gear. Just my opinion though.

If I may add some perspective.

With OW students ( and I one centre I teach uses BP/W the other Jackets) I use gear that is similar to teh students. Yes three are differences (no cumberbund on my Jacket and longer than normal Alt hose) but none are obvious.

I don't' want to over whelm them by explaining my gear, when there's is still alien and new to them.

I will so little differences, perhaps the way I stow my SPG or how I clip off my Alt, but that's it. I want them to learn from me so teach teh skills in the way they need to perform them.

When we move to AoW or Con Ed, then I will introduce other gear. perhaps my BP/W or explain why my normal regs have 2 x 40" hoses with the Alt coming under my left shoulder.

When we get to rescue, I'll get them to master the skills first in a Jacket (even if they wear a BP/W) then we can move to showing or using a BP/W and I might even throw in my Side mount - just so they can understand different techniques.

So you're right, there is value in exposign divers to other equipment styles if they're interested - the majority of divers aren't gear heads and don't care much.

But the important thing is timing i.e when to introduce further and additional information in a way that doesn't overload them nor detract from their learning.

Hope that helps.

to reidify what others have said.. for the sake of the students, i begin teaching in a "standard" reg set for demonstration purposes. but by the time we are in open water i am using my long hose again and the students get a chance to see some diversity and customization of gear.
btw my bp/w is easy todo ALL of the drills in, and even my students uss them without difficulty.

An option is to add a quick release to one of your PB/W shoulder straps and skip the crotch strap during class.
Your BC, like their's, has:
- a waist belt
- a quick release shoulder strap
- integrated weight pockets or weight belt
If you skip the 7' hose but still dive primary donate:
- you donate from the mouth and your backup air is close at hand, like those on Air2s.

Good man
Love this idea! Useful and cheap ;-) Thx, considering doing that
Change the regulator hose, add some clips... done.
So I am happy and the students as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom