Dive Mag ads and articles are so often ignorantly wrong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Every December a magazine I get just because of my annual instructor fees runs a special advertising section on Hawaii. For at least the last 4 years it is mostly unchanged, just changing the order of Islands.

In the Big Island section there have been no changes and here is a prominent passage;

unnamed dive rag:
At Garden Eel Cove, massive manta rays come in at night to feed on tiny krill and other organizims attracted to lights set on the sea floor. It's a world-class site straight from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. City of Refuge and Turtle Pinnacle attract green sea turtles by the dozen to their cleaning stations. The lava substrate has riddled the shoreline with underwater caverns, in which you'll find nurse sharks, legions of squirrelfish and every kind of ray of light imaginable.

I did the bolding, but this ad has been printed unchanged for at least 4 years, and I'm wondering how I missed the nurse sharks. :wink:

There is lot's of other ignorant wrongs in this and most other dive mags ads and articles and I think we should have fun making fun of them! :D

yeah ... somebody needs to do some work on their fish I.D.s. - I always get a kick out of the articles about diving on Maui seem like diving with whales is an every day occurance ... wishful thinking...

But since these things are "in print" they must be true, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom