Dive Log Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why get one when you can get them all? Imports and exports are quite easy.

#1 I do use Diving Log 6.0 to store, categorize and analyze my dives. It allows one to define custom dive types or labels and assign them to ones dives. Think of night dives, overhead dives, pool dives, free dives, wetsuit dives, deep dives, nitrox dives, fun dives, troublesome dives, search and recovery, lobster dives, ... the possibilities to record a dive type are endless. I paid for this app.

#2 I am also using Subsurface, because it has a desktop app that can display a really cool decompression heat map for those more advanced dives. It also has a mobile app, Subsurface-mobile, which is slightly more limited but still great and free. Subsurface does not cost anything and it works on all systems: Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, Iphone.

#3 I also upload my dives to https://en.divelog.de from DL6 it is a really nice non-commercial independent site. You can upload photos and link to videos and share and form groups and it has an app too. The app costs a little bit.

Subsurface has tags for dives you can use to categorize dives like you do in Dining Log. It is also possible to add pictures and videos and there is an easy Upload to divelog.de

The only worthwhile dive log is the one you actually use. There are a lot of great suggestions here, but if you don't like something don't be afraid to try something else.

I started with a paper log, tried Subsurface, and eventually found a dive log quick enough for me to actually bother recording with. That is the simple Google Keep app on my phone that I already use every day for notes of all sorts. 90% of my entries are only date, max depth, and location. I keep several other note pages for things I care about like weighting and air consumption. I am not advocating this (it's pretty sparse), but rather saying to keep on trying things until you find a system that works for you. gl

Subsurface has tags for dives you can use to categorize dives like you do in Dining Log. It is also possible to add pictures and videos and there is an easy Upload to divelog.de
I prefer to keep track of my dives separately from my meals! :wink:

The only worthwhile dive log is the one you actually use. There are a lot of great suggestions here, but if you don't like something don't be afraid to try something else.
Quite true. A dive log is useless if you don’t actually use it. And not just log dives with it, but actually use it. That’s a large part of the reason I stopped logging in paper logbooks. I just couldn’t see myself looking through the books for information.

I started using DiverLog for Mac as I was using an Oceanic computer. It worked fine until such time as I started using a Shearwater. Between those dates, I had actually started using Subsurface. DiverLog let me export and import into Subsurface.

Whatever is used, make sure it has the ability to export in a standard format before you get too far into it.

While I was using DiverLog, I was actually also logging in both DiverLog and Subsurface. I’m primarily using Subsurface now, but do also backup to Shearwater Cloud when I think about it.

Dive Log for iOS also works seamlessly with Diving Log 6.0 on a PC. I love the combo, but I do not see where you can manually log dives in the Dive Log iOS app?
You can add a manual dive by hitting the + icon in the top right hand corner.

Does it allow manual entry? I plan on purchasing a computer at some point but right now I will be entering manually. I know some places rent computers but it’s better to have your own so I’m going to save up for one.
Yes it does. My first few dives were manual and now I just download them from my computer. They have great technical support as well

Another + for Subsurface.

Has so much functionality including a host of things you will probably never need. You can manually log dives (or sync when you get around to buying a DC), add geographic detail, photos, video, diver info, weighting info, suit info.

A great plus for me is that once the info has been added on one dive, it is there for future dives so you can quickly add it to your current ones. Say on dive 10 you used 10lb of weight with a 3mm wetsuit and dived with Fred and Jane - the info is there so when you come to add dive 11, 51 or 101 and want to enter the same info, the entries are there so it is very easy to add them.

+1 More for Subsurface as it has a free cloud sync feature so 1 login can keep track of dives logged on multiple devices oh and it supports multiple DCs. All of my dives (only 99 so far) are logged to it, the paper ones and the ones logged on the 3 different computers I have owned.

I tattoo each dive on my right hip. No matter where I go it's right there. Each notch represents a dive, and if I'm in a sleazy bar or place of ill repute I just tell them it's my body count.

Win win.

In case my leg gets taken by a shark, I have everything backed up on Subsurface. Great program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom