Dive Log for Windows (to be FREE)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KingOfSomewhereHot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I figured this is the best place to put it reading thru the forum descriptions for each forum.

I spent quite a while looking for a free, decent dive log program for Windows. I haven't come across any ones that I particularly liked or thought was easy to use, so I decided to write my own. If you have taken a look at my profile (I'm sure most of you don't make a habit out of looking thru people's profiles), but I am a college student who has taken a few programming classes, most recently Visual Basic for writing programs for the Windows environment. Being a newbie to the language, I am looking for anyone else that may be familiar with Visual Basic here to sort of write some of the "deeper" guts of what the program should do. The layout has already been made and some of the simple logic as well, but other parts I am getting stuck on, so would like to find some help, if there's anyone here. Since it will be free software, I guess I am asking for a volunteer or a few volunteers to help out with this. I realize there probably won't be many responses, if any, but if so, it is appreciated. To be more specific on some of the things needed, I need help on coding the ability to store the user input fields into a database file and then be able to be recalled. Also, saving and some other things are needed as well. Thanks!

To the rest: What do you think of the idea? If you know of any free, easy to use Windows dive log software, please let me know and I will check it out. Thanks!

Will do. I will of course need to enlist the help of a bunch of testers to test for bugs. The more the merrier! I will give a shout out when the program is complete. Advanced warning though.....it will be a fairly simple looking and acting program, and will probably take a bit to finish, so a completion within a month or two is probably not going to happen, but I will try my best, along with anyone that may lend a helping hand! When I get home, if I remember, I will post a screenshot of what the program looks like.....like I said....very plain in presentation....just a simple electronic dive log...nothing too fancy.

Here is a screenshot. As I said, a very simple looking appearance.

divelogSS1.jpg

Google DiveExchange. It's basically what you are talking about, but you can access it from anywhere and share it with people.

If you continue with this idea your best bet would be to have the program write the information to a Database whether a access database or a mysql or even a SQL database. That will make it a whole lot easier and even using a PHP or webbased language would be good and be easier to customize.

You also want to make sure to write in some instructions on backing this data up so that when someone buys a new computer or they have a hard drive failure they dont lose every single dive they have entered into the system.

There is no need for any such program. A simple spreadsheet works fine as a dive log. If you create it as a google docs spreadsheet, then you can even link people to the html version of the spreadsheet like this:

J and M's Dive Log

Here is an example of two people even sharing the same spreadsheet since they mostly dive at the same times. If you need something more advanced with actual dive profiles, theres jdivelog. I am guessing a simple spreadsheet would suffice for most every recreational diver.

I made my own access data base for logging my dives and it works ok, I have some C++ and VB background if you like I’ll have a look at your code and se if I can help, let me know, that is if you are still working on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom