Dive log book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with a PADI logbook but stopped logging when the pages ran out as logging just was not regarded as important in the group of divers I hung with at the time.

About 7 years ago I started logging again as a log book was important to demonstrate recent experience or total experience for dive boats, trips, courses etc. One of the other major benefits of doing a good job of logging the details of dives is that it will bring back lots of memories years later that you would otherwise lose.

I now use pretty generic log book pages placed in a zippered mid-size 3 ring binder with pockets for c-cards, dive tables etc. It keeps everything together and when I get too many pages, they are removed and stored in a manilla envelope. I don't see the point in having more than the last 200-300 dives in the actual logbook I carry around.

I also use a downloadable computer which takes care of the depth/time/temp/pressure details and lets me download at the end of the weekend and then add the other details on Sunday night. I was pretty bad about logging dives after the end of each dive as other than tracking N2 loading, and surface intervals for planning purposes, I did not do much else and a downloadable computer has really helped me keep track of all my dives.

I created my own log format and log the dives in there.
I just bring enough pages with me for the dives I'm doing then add them to the others when I get home

Me too I created my own log book. This is cheaper and more familiar with you. It must include the main items that is generaly concern in the diving like (Dive Number, Location, Date, Depth, Bottom Time....etc) and then add other things that is concerned to you like (Temp, Sea conditions, Weather Conditions, Special comments...etc )

I only have an 'electronic' log book. I just find it easier - bang my dive details into my Ipaq, it automatically syncs up to my home PC. Works well enough.

I do have a notebook with me though so I tend to fill in additional stuff in there then add it at a later date.

The dive shops seem to accept this - certainly did for my rescue course anyways.

I log all my dives in a record book I bought in an office supply store. I get much more flexibility. I can sketch or write as much as I want with no worries I'll run out of space. I can use as many pages as I want for one dive. OTOH, if I don't have much to write, I can put 5 dives on a single page. Very flexible.

I bought a neat little leather zipper binder at Wal Mart for $14.95. It holds 5.5" x 8" sheets, so I printed up my own pages and shoved them in.

I'm faithful about logging dives, but then I really don't have all that many yet.

When I first started diving I never logged anything. Nothing. I never really cared about doing anything other than relatively shallow OW dives. I did not have any plans on doing any other type of advanced courses so why bother (I know, not the point).

When I started diving after an extended absence I knew that if I wanted to progress in my training beyond OW that I needed logs. So I purchased a dive computer that logged all the relevant data and was downloadable to my pc. Since this purchase I have been perfect in the fact that all my dives get some type of information documented.

I do have this information backed up in several places (including my laptop which goes where I go).

Joe

I log all my dives. When I got OW certified (YMCA) my instructor had a sample log page on his Web site, and encouraged us to download and copy it. It worked great until I decided I wanted to keep a record on my PC. Then I just created a log page in Word (basically a Table with the fields I wanted to record) and keep a log that way.

Somewhere in here there's a thread that has several different types of log pages attached. You might search for it, and find one that suits your needs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom