Dive Locator for Solo Diving at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtownsend2000

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone had any luck finding a dive locator/transponder for solo diving? I know Dutch will let you use your own if you have one.

Cheers!
Darren

Has anyone had any luck finding a dive locator/transponder for solo diving? I know Dutch will let you use your own if you have one.

Cheers!
Darren

It's funny, I googled "solo dive locator" to see what I could find. The first four results were for Dutch Spring solo diving page. Fifth result was this thread!

:d

You can check with Dutch Springs, but I think the one they use is the ATT-400 transponder found on this page:

RJE INTERNATIONAL - Acoustic Pingers & Transponders

ATT-400.jpg

If it's not that exact one... it's very similar.

Ray

Ha! Thanks Ray. Yes, that looks very similar. I'll have to see if I can get hold of one.

Just what are you trying to accomplish? Locating the exit point? Or is this so they can find your body? Dutch's website is down currently.

If you want a Sport Tracker my friend will probably sell his. The Sport is better than a Scout for longer distances, and more accurate pointing to the receiver.
Desert Star Systems, LLC - DiveTracker Sport for Diver Navigation

You are required to rent that dive locator from Dutch Springs if you want to go solo diving there. Of course, you also need the cert and sign the accompanying forms.

I was curious too when I saw this thread the first time--what is the dive locator supposed to accomplish?

My guess is to help find the body. Having a diver lost in the quarry would be hard on business.

Their website it back up again. Interesting that they require a pinger.

Solo Diving at Dutch Springs
To solo scuba dive at Dutch Springs you must have a current
Solo Diving certification card, show your card when registering,
fill out additional paperwork and rent a dive locator.

Solo Dive Locators
$16 per day
$365 refundable deposit
Only MasterCard, Visa or cash accepted for solo dive locator deposits.

WOW! I just looked at their price sheet. With 35,000 scuba divers a year they are doing pretty good. Let alone all the general admission for the water park etc.

So to solo there is $36 admission, plus $16 for the dive locator. Ouch! Is there much to see other than airplanes? I would assume there isn't much garbage to clean up unlike our local lakes. Other than Cenotes, I haven't found much interesting places to dive in fresh water. At least in California.

Yes, the point of the locator is literally for them to find your body if you don't return at said time. A little cold but understandable at such a populated dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom