Dive Lights at the Meet and Greet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joedelt

Contributor
Reaction score
hey all
i'm blowing all sorts of money on the 'dive bug' this year so figure i might as well keep it going.

i want a dive light.

to that end, i'm like to know from those who are going, what type you have, as well as pro's and cons (i'd like to keep my price under 800 if possible)

right now i'm partial to greenforce. i like their modular systems, and the ability to adapt the lighting system to the dive i'm doing. if any of you looked at these, and decided against, i'd love to know why

thanks

Well, I'll be diving with my measly UK C-8. I know you guys uses these things for tank markers or something, but I'm not packing on every dive. (OK, I usually have my Mini-Q40 ;-)

-Rob

joedelt:
hey all
i'm blowing all sorts of money on the 'dive bug' this year so figure i might as well keep it going.

i want a dive light.

to that end, i'm like to know from those who are going, what type you have, as well as pro's and cons (i'd like to keep my price under 800 if possible)

right now i'm partial to greenforce. i like their modular systems, and the ability to adapt the lighting system to the dive i'm doing. if any of you looked at these, and decided against, i'd love to know why

thanks

You may be able to manage a Dive Rite Canister light for under $800.00 as well. I am not familar with Greenforce.

My current light set-up consists of a Dive Rite 10W HID cansister with NiMetal Hydride wreck batteries and an adjustable beam for photography or signalling (about $800.00), a Dive Rite LED (about $40.00), and a UK 4 AA cell incadescent (about $20.00 to $30.00). My old primary was an Ikelight Super Eight and I forget what they are going for. I haven't had a problem with any of them (since DiveRite replaced the cord on my can light that is).

I am still running the old halcyon pro 14's. I love them. They are -8pounds in the water. good burn time with a 50W halogen lamp. too much bun time with a 18W HID. the batteries are not that expensive to replace. the light is not that expensive used. because no one wants a light that big. I sold my first one for $150. missed it so much I purchased my last to for $150 and $100.

Kevin

Howard Sandroff also makes a very good light and he has very good service.
he also sells EKPP reflectors
You can email him and he will send you pictures and specs of his light.
sndf@uchicago.edu

I use a Light Canon, but then I also do UW Photography. With the Canon, I got rid of the handle and got a ULCS 1" ball/dovetail and a 3-way clamp. This way I have the HID on the strobe arm and I have NO goodman handle to worry about. I pre-aim the light about 70 degrees off the axis of the lens and use it to spot critters and as a dive light. Then when I find something that I want to shoot I just rotate the camera and then the light doesn't hotspot the shot or spook the critter.

I'll just use my SL4 and SL6's. Don't really need a big spot light in there, plus I love the limited vis :eyebrow: .

Back
Top Bottom