Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RX8Bob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know there are plenty of lights out there to choose from but i've got a question. I've been working on a light with my father, the prototype is finished, though we are going to make a few improvements that we noticed after machineing the first.

But anyway, i am just trying to guage interest.

The main features are:
2400 lumen, 40 watt, (2+ times as bright as Dive Rite's 21W LED Canister Light, 3x as bright as a 60w Light Bulb)
4+ ~ 8+ Hours of burn time. (Dependant on brightness)
Multiple brightness levels, User adjustable during the dive.
Brightness levels are preset, changable via USB connection to computer.
Design implies light head has max depth of OVER 300 ft. (tested to equivalent of 250', my equipment does not allow for higher pressures.)
3 lens choices (35 degress (Flood), 24 degrees, and 15 degress.)
Li-Ion Battery or NiCad/Nimh battery, (users choice)
Small battery pack at about 3" in diameter and about 6" in length (Li-Ion)
light head is machined aluminum will be anodized, battery pack will also have an aluminum housing.

looking at a 1 or 2 year warranty from date of purchase on everything, (battery limited to to probably 6 months, still have to go over this)

Last edited:
Just to give you a heads up there are 2 users on here that sell lights privately. One is adm3745, other 350Xfire. adam does HID lights and Hector does LED light 21 watt both with around 4-5hour burn time they sell 7-800 which is about 1/2 what the Big manufactures sell for.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-lights/329164-21w-hid-canister-light-sale.html

350xfire -- Has several thread with differnt size lights priced depending but all 1/2 less then you will pay

Currently, the price we're looking to sell for is also around 700-800 if i can get my materials cheaper then the lights will become cheaper as well.

I forgot to mention the light that i'm using is a 40w LED.

My light has about 4 hour burn time at a 100% power setting (40 watts, ~2400 lumen) , while i get twice the burn time at a 50% power and still have ~1200 lumen light output. So at the equivalent to a 21w LED light i have about an 8 hour burn time.

I assume you will be using something like the SST-90 LED with some type of driver? Which driver will you use? Sounds interesting, but getting that LED to focus tightly will be almost impossible... Will it be in MR-11 or MR-26 config?

The light is actually a single 40w surface mount LED accompanied by a lens by the same manufacturer made for that LED, so the focus is easy and the lenses are essentially drop in replacements. The LED and lenses are made to fit together with tight tolerances so centering the led and lense is simple and quick, focus isn't bad and provides great coverage if you ask me. it is raining tonight otherwise i'd go outside and take a few pictures of the light output.

The lens isn't adjustable, the only choices would be chooseing the angle you would prefer, honestly i've purchased the 35 degree and 15 lenses so far, and the 15 is far superior in my opinion. My friend who's got a couple HID's and quartz also liked the 15 degree. The LED is driven by a proprietary board and software designed by my father.

a22Shady, I am from Ocean County, NJ, so if you wanted too, i can let you look at the one light if you wanted to post your opinion on it. I am willing to bring it out to you if you wanted to look at it.

Has anyone done a dive with it yet? Static testing in a pressure pot is one thing and diving in dynamic conditions is another (although I have no doubt it will pass that test).

It needs to go on several dives in limited viz (NJ conditions) however as a SST-90 is generally more of a flood light and would probably just light up the backscatter (more appropriate for video). I don't think it would be accurate to say that this throws twice as far as a 21 W HID. I don't think it would throw as far.

Just curious.

EDIT: Fixed a typo below. For clarification, I am compairing my brightness only to 21W LED lights. Not HID.

I finished making the light about a week ago, and was planning on using it in a dive as soon as I could. So to answer the question about it being on a dive, as of yet, not yet. Will it be? Yes, as soon as I get my tanks back from hydro. On a college students income, its a bit slow going getting out on a dive.

I make no claim as to throwing light further than a 21 W hid, I am not comparing to an HID light as HID are vastly different from LED. The only claim i do make however is that my light has 2+ times the output of a 21w LED light as the LED i am using is a 40w LED.

The lens i am using is a 15 degree lens which changes the focus of the LED from 110 degrees to 15. The Lens being made specifically for the LED does a great job of focusing most of the light into 15 degrees. There is still that halo around the center as with any light.

What i'll do, tomorrow night, around 10 PM EST after my Math Exam i'll take pictures of the light output/pattern.

Last edited:
Sounds like adm3745 is currently taking orders (including payments) but not shipping any products:

The Deco Stop

I don't think it's very responsible of you to suggest his lights before this gets cleared up. Right now he comes off as a crook.

Just to give you a heads up there are 2 users on here that sell lights privately. One is adm3745, other 350Xfire. adam does HID lights and Hector does LED light 21 watt both with around 4-5hour burn time they sell 7-800 which is about 1/2 what the Big manufactures sell for.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-lights/329164-21w-hid-canister-light-sale.html

350xfire -- Has several thread with differnt size lights priced depending but all 1/2 less then you will pay

Anyway, back on topic, what i'm doing is trying to guage interest in the light i've been working on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom