Dive light storage/maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillyCham

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Wondering if everyone removes the batteries from their dive lights between dives? If the batteries were to sit in the light for months it seems like you'd want to remove them, but if I'm diving about once a week, do you think it's necessary to remove them (8 C-cell's).

Also, is the McNett Spray silicone a good one for the O-ring on my light? Thanks for any maintenance advice

After the light is clean and dry, unless I will be diving again the next day, I either add an insulator for short times (days) or remove the batteries.

As I can use mine out of the water without it heating up, I leave them in.

Who would not want a nice bright emergency light for when the power goes out?

For months I would take them out, if I'm using it weekly I wouldn't bother every time on the theory that opening waterproof things less often is good.

Silicone spray seems like a mess and overkill to me since most of it's not going on the oring. I use the tiniest bit of silicone grease on a finger, doing it like that also helps find and pickup any stray whatever that might have gotten on the oring.

I've ruined 2 dive lights while leaving batteries in for several months, generally 2 or more. In spite of that, I still leave them in for several weeks but remove them as a month approaches.

If you are using Duracell batteries remove them between dive outings. One day or a couple days will not hurt. But they off gas and I have had my Dorcy's feel like they were under serious pressure when turning the head if the batteries were left in more than a few days. Sure as hell I had one head literally fly out of my hand due to the pressure build up. And you'll get an obvious pop. The other issue with duracells I have experienced is that they build up little heat when they do this. And condensation forms as well as a little acid. I have a light here now that my GF was going to take on her trip this weekend when I asked her about the last time the batteries were changed. Long story short I gave her one of my back ups so I can try to clean up the battery holder. and thanks to the pressure and acidic cloud I need to replace the orings as well.

No more Duracells for me in dive lights. I'll use Eveready Industrials.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom