Dive light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the lights being described are backup lights but also serve nicely as dink around lights in clear water. My new backup light is an UK SL3: SL3 eLED® LED dive light Underwater Kinetics. My dink around light is a SL4.

If you are diving dark cold waters I would suggest looking at a can light to brighten up your world.

Scared Silly, Thanks for the info. You cracked me up with the diving description. I guess "dink around in clear water" is the last thing I would say to describe my diving. Here, it's cold, dark and crap viz pretty much most of the time. Dry suit as well. To be honest, I'm leaning away from a canister light. I have enough stuff to carry already.

Here, it's cold, dark and crap viz pretty much most of the time. To be honest, I'm leaning away from a canister light. I have enough stuff to carry already.

Dark and crap viz cries out for an HID. Nothing cuts through "crap viz" like an HID.

Dufus, I have a can light from what is now Light Monkey www.lightmonkey.us. It is a 10 watt HID. They have some nice LEDs which have a low profile compared to HID. But as RJP notes nothing cuts through crap viz like an HID. Though the LEDs keep getting better and better.

PS the diving your doing might best be described as "pissing about in the muck" :).

If you want a real Primary Light and Dont mind spending the money then go out and get either a Halcyon or Light Monkey 21watt HID. It bright enough to use on any dive. Focusable beam, Depth rated deeper than most will go. Great for signaling and can cut through bad Viz. And they are extremly reliable

if you want a real primary light and dont mind spending the money then go out and get either a halcyon or light monkey 21watt hid. It bright enough to use on any dive. Focusable beam, depth rated deeper than most will go. Great for signaling and can cut through bad viz. And they are extremly reliable

+1 :d

a22Shady, probably a dumb question, but what is a focusable beam ? Do you mean that you can change the " angle " of the beam from the light source from, say a wider angle to a narrower angle. This would be good if I'm interpreting it correctly. From a narrower beam to cut through the bad vis and then to a wider / broader beam when the viz improves

Yes, a focusable light means that the beam angle can be adjusted. However, most find an angle they like and leave it there.

Back
Top Bottom