Dive light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy @$%^*&@#$%; I just checked out the prices for Halycon 21 watt HID, $2,150 and the 10watt is $1,225. $800-$900 for Light Monkey, getting better but when I said I don't mind paying, I didn't expect these kinds of prices. I'd buy one of these lights and then I'd spend the next 5 years hearing about it from the "signifigant other". I guess I don't need to see in crap viz that badly. I was thinking around $400 would be OK.

I'm back to looking at probably an "OK" LED. The search continues.

Holy @$%^*&@#$%; I just checked out the prices for Halycon 21 watt HID, $2,150 and the 10watt is $1,225. $800-$900 for Light Monkey, getting better but when I said I don't mind paying, I didn't expect these kinds of prices. I'd buy one of these lights and then I'd spend the next 5 years hearing about it from the "signifigant other". I guess I don't need to see in crap viz that badly. I was thinking around $400 would be OK.

I dive in conditions I suspect are similar to yours. I've already posted what I use and the primary and backup add up to no more than $150. If you really want a 10W HID just buy a UK Light Cannon.

I'd suggest you find friends with the various lights mentioned in this thread and try them all out. You might find that for your purposes some of the less expensive options work quite well. I had a Light Cannon and prefer my current set up. I dive with people who have both 21 W HID cannister lights as well as much smaller lights. You decide what works best for you.

Been following this thread & got to wondering--how does the UK SL3 compare to the eLED C8????.That little SL3 seems pretty bright from the video on it.....TIA....

Here's what I would get if my budget ran to $400:

Light & Motion Sola 500 at www.DiveSeekers.com

Played with this recently. Great strap system securely attaches the light to the back of your hand like a can light head, but without the wire. Adustable beam. Very bright.
soldiv500_1.jpg

Search around if you dont mind used there should be no problem picking up a used Halcyon / Light Monkey (Salvo) 10watt HID light for 400 or less. They are on here a lo. and light will last you and serve you good.

GC Bryan, thanks to you, the Diving Cree is on my list. RJP, I just found your other previous post about this light. It's on the list also. I'm not really in a position to try a bunch of lights, only one buddy and he's looking for a light also. I'm learning what I think I need, key word think. Focusable for the bad viz or just a narrower beam ( about 8-14 degrees ), twist off/on or a magnetic switch, I'd like to be able to use rechargeables, enough burn time for 3 dives ( 2-2.5 hours ), I also must admit that my old light was rather big and I got tired of lugging that thing around, so something a little smaller, I light the idea of a Goodman handle ( I sound like I know what I'm talking about, 2 days ago, I'd never heard of a Goodman handle )

I am getting smarter though, thanks to all of you. Also, my marriage might stay intact.

You should ask google for LightForMe 7 XRE. This LED lamp can be some option to 21Watt HID lamp.

Back
Top Bottom