Dive Knives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the process of getting my OW cert. I've done the classroom work, and am just waiting to do the pool and open water dives.

My question is about dive knives. The PADI training stresses their importance, and I can understand the thinking behind it, but can't say I've seen people actually carrying them on the (admitedly very limited) dives I've done so far.

Do you carry a dive knife, and if so, what kind? Titanium or stainless? Sharp? Blunt?

Thanks

There may be an exception but you should always have a cutting instrument. Shears, a knife, something and 2 would be better then 1.

Stainless is fine if you take care of your stuff. Sharp or blunt is a matter of preference and I have no opinion on that either way. In some cases one is prefered to the other such as if you need to do some prying-in this case, a blunt tip probably works better.

I carry a sharp steel dive knife simply because that's the only one they had in the shop at the time. It's also rather embarassingly oversized! Most of my fellow instructors carry a small blade with a blunt end or often just a pair of shears.

PADI standards require me to carry one when training and so therefore I do. Also, some of the environments I have dived in were visited by fishermen so it's a good safety precaution. useful for cutting fishing line that's been snagged in the coral, or lost fish traps, or sunken nets.

You might compare it to the Alternate Air Source - hopefully nobody will ever have to use it in a real emergency, but the one time you needed it, you'd be glad it was there.

In some enviroments a dive knife is of course essential, such as diving in kelp; where I work, it's really not.

Cheers,

C.

titanium, folding, in my BC pocket - had to use it 1 time in 11 tears to remove a birds nest of fishing line from my fins, diving in a heavily fished fresh water lake at the time.

As all divers should know - the proper use of your knife is only when there are really mean sharks around - you stab your buddy and swim for it.:wink:

Seriously though, the other posters have it right - it's a just in case thing.

Look into a z-knife from Dive-Rite or others like it. Depending on where you dive a "real" knife may not be necessary, overkill, or even work when you need it to. I only carry a "real" knife if I am working and know I will have ropes to cut. A z-knife and / or EMS shears will cut about anything you will encounter and will stow easier. Monofiliment line is a pain to cut with a "real" knife. Shears and a z-knife work much better. If you dive where there may be a problem with nets, I suggest you invest in a bread knife with round serated edges that is flexible. You can make a sheath for it by folding 2" webbing. Again most "regular" knives are pretty, but don't perform when needed. I cut nets and lines out of wheels (props), tires off of wheels, and other such tasks on a regular basis. Z-knife, shears and a good bread knife will do most of what you want and will cost less (together) than a single dive knife. :coffee:

Some dive areas (like Cozumel) do not allow you to carry knives because they fear you will use them for souvenir collection or the like. They do not, however, ban cutting devices in general. Shears would be OK. So would a Z-knife, a small plastic-encased knife that is very good for cutting lines.\

Edit: posted at the same time as the previous one.

I always carry 2 cutting instruments: a knife and a set of shears. The knife is the most useful tool, so I keep it close at hand, mounted on my left shoulder strap, just above my pocket. I keep the shears in my pocket. The shears are mainly a backup for the knife, but I have come across some netting that required shears to cut through.
This is what I look for in a dive knife:
Blunt tip-helps for prying or can come in handy as a screwdriver
Line-Cutter Notch- just makes it easier to cut line
Serrated Edge-again, just makes cutting easier
Mountability- is it easily mountable? do you have to permanently modify your BC to mount it?
Size- I want a knife with a handle that is big enough to feel comfortable in my hand as I use it, but I know that this isn't Sea Hunt, and I probably won't have to face any smugglers, sharks, evil divers etc. What I'm trying to say is: There is no reason at all for those silly-ass dive knives with 8" blades. 2"-4" blade is all you should need.
I prefer stainless steel, because it is a lot cheaper. Every time I dive, I just pull out my knife and shears, rinse them, hit them with WD-40, and put them up with the rest of the gear. I have had the same knife and set of shears for just over a year and a half, and have had no issues.
I am a big fan of the Wenoka Squeeze-Lock Knives. They are affordable, well-made, have a variety of mounting options(Hose, webbing, leg, shoulder strap, etc), have all of the qualities I look for, and the sheath is VERY secure. (You only have to lose one before you learn that lesson ;-) )

...Do you carry a dive knife, and if so, what kind? Titanium or stainless? Sharp? Blunt?

Thanks

I carry 2 or 3.

The vast majority of divers will never use their knives for anything other than cutting fruit after the dive.... but if you really need a knife (think entanglement) and don't have one....

The knife (or cutting tool) needs to be placed so you can reach it with either hand (one hand may be occupied, entangled, etc.). It needs to be secure in its sheath until needed, but you need to be able to draw it easily with one hand. It should have a wrist lanyard (dives have been found dead in fishing nets, their dive knife lying on the bottom where they dropped it when it slipped from their grasp).

The type of knife (blunt, sharp, steel, titanium) is up to you, but I prefer steel. Whatever you choose, make sure the blade is SHARP! A dull knife is worse than useless.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom