Dive Knives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah, and I am looking to get a Z-knife too...Or making something similar.

I dive with a half-serrated blade machete; perfect for quickly cutting any line or rope and excellent for slashing through kelp with ease :D

I like the Benchmade Rescue Hook. It will slice through 2" webbing like butter.

When I dive open water I carry a Titanium dive knife since Titanium is less prone to rust, I also carry a Dive Rite Z knife as a back up..

If you spearfish, you need a knife. If you dive, you'll do just fine with some surgical shears and a line cutter. Either way, nothing wrong with carrying one just in case - and I do. I have an Oceanic Spinner mounted to my chest strap. You want something small, not a machete strapped to your leg. If you go for stainless look for 304 stainless steel vs. 440\high carbon steels. 304 is much better at resisting rust/corrosion. It is a bit softer and will need to be sharpened a bit more.

I dive with a half-serrated blade machete; perfect for quickly cutting any line or rope and excellent for slashing through kelp with ease

I prefer a Husqvarna chain saw with a 18" bar. Compact and cuts cleanly and quickly. I clip it to my crotch strap ring with a retractor. Streamlined and powerful.

One more thing. Having your knife out of the way, as well as everything else, helps make sure you don't use it often. On the leg can cause entanglements.

Thanks to everybody for the replies. They've helped a lot. I ordered two knives today. This one
/scuba-gear-30/024133/Scuba-Titanium-BC-Knife.html
and this one
/scuba-gear-30/024140/Scuba-Titanium-Dive-Knife.html

from scuba.com. I have not yet made enough posts to be allowed to put the unedited URL here. A little cut and paste will show you which knives. :)

Titanium is certainly harder to sharpen, but since one of the hobbies I've dabbled in was blade smithing, I've got the gear to put a razor edge on anything.

As for trauma shears... We have lots, since we use them every day at work. I'll put a couple pairs away with the dive gear we're starting to accumulate.

I carry a normal size titanium Wenoka knife on the inside of my left calf and EMT shears on the right chest strap of my BC.

I've used the shears for removing monofilament line from a reef. And OMG there was about a mile of the stuff, ugh.

I've only ever used the knife for goading a blenny out of his hole for a photo op. At that time, I was glad it was a blunt tip, since I could not have done the same thing with a pointed tip without fear of harming the little guy.

I'm pleased to have both with me at all times, though.

Look into a z-knife from Dive-Rite or others like it. Depending on where you dive a "real" knife may not be necessary, overkill, or even work when you need it to. I only carry a "real" knife if I am working and know I will have ropes to cut. A z-knife and / or EMS shears will cut about anything you will encounter and will stow easier. Monofiliment line is a pain to cut with a "real" knife. Shears and a z-knife work much better. If you dive where there may be a problem with nets, I suggest you invest in a bread knife with round serated edges that is flexible. You can make a sheath for it by folding 2" webbing. Again most "regular" knives are pretty, but don't perform when needed. I cut nets and lines out of wheels (props), tires off of wheels, and other such tasks on a regular basis. Z-knife, shears and a good bread knife will do most of what you want and will cost less (together) than a single dive knife. :coffee:

Totally agree 110%! The best and cheapest dive knives around are the cheaper serrated kitchen knives which can be housed in a sheeth made of spare webbing. Normally, it will eventually start to rust at some point, but then you can get a new one for a few cents and replace it.....

Remember to mount it somewhere sensible too - you see afar too may people with knives, best described at 12" machete props from a Rambo movie set, strapped to their ankles - sadly if on the rare occasion you may need to use it there is a reasonable change it wouldn't be so easy to get too if it's on your ankle - make sure it's somewhere easier to reach - upper body is normally the best place! Obviously make sure you don't place it where it can do more damage than good though :)

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom