Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to do a lot of work with moorings and lines.

A BFK was a life saver.

There is a difference when you work on a boat V sluggin down margaritas at Anthonys Key.

I used to do a lot of work with moorings and lines.

A BFK was a life saver.

There is a difference when you work on a boat V sluggin down margaritas at Anthonys Key.
Ya never know. The barkeeps at AKR are pretty good, but there might be a lime that needs to be cut down a little more, so a BFK may be appropriate.....

Diving at home I always carry a small folding knife in my pocket, a linecutter mounted on my other pocket and shears on my belt. I guess getting entangled under water is my worst nightmare. When traveling I take my folding knife.
Divers with a huge knife mounted on their leg are compensating for something.

I have been badly entangled and unable to free myself on a night dive. I did have a large knife and still could not reach all the places I was caught up. If I had a small knife, it would have been more panic inducing, due to the lessened reach.
My BFK merely compliments something, not compensates for it.

Diving at home I always carry a small folding knife in my pocket, a linecutter mounted on my other pocket and shears on my belt. I guess getting entangled under water is my worst nightmare. When traveling I take my folding knife.
Divers with a huge knife mounted on their leg are compensating for something.
Yep. They wear it on the opposite leg from where they normally "dress" so everything balances...

Haven't read the whole thread, but I have a line cutter on the top of my harness crotch strap. A codpiece if you will. It goes everywhere with me. It doesn't identify as a knife, so not an issue in checked baggage at least. The presence of a dive guide would have no bearing on what equipment I take underwater.

I always have a blunt tip knife attached to my aqua lung BC with screws through the mounting holes on left side pocket and a line cutter in my right zipper pocket. I started carrying both just like I always have a snorkel since I started diving because knife and snorkel were listed as essential equipment. I have used the knife on two occasions. Once to cut fishing line that was tangled in my dive buddy’s fin and once to cut away a long strand of kelp that I got tangled up with. Seems better to have something you don’t need rather than the other way around.

I grew up with a BFK, on the opposing leg to my preferred hand, opposite to the side I dress
currently for freeing up cray pots with heaps of overhang and crags and plenty undergrowth
as always I change my configuration to suit the dive so up on the waist strap BFK currently is

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom