Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a Wenoka Pro, "back in the day". Loved that thing... One of the things I lost in the divorce of Wife#1. 😒
Serious? You lost a dive knife in a divorce? How’d that happen? A person shouldn’t be parted from their Wenoka, and no substitute will do!

Serious? You lost a dive knife in a divorce? How’d that happen? A person shouldn’t be parted from their Wenoka, and no substitute will do!
She had a good lawyer, I was on the road working, and she sold all my gear when I was gone, on direction from that lawyer...
Just be glad she didn't give it back to you, sharp end first.
Ain't that the truth... 🤣

A person shouldn’t be parted from their Wenoka, and no substitute will do!
I agree. I did ask if there is an equal or superior substitute on the prior page of this thread, but I doubt there is. If there was ever a company who went out of business and should make a comeback, it's Wenoka.

Speaking of "big" knives, I recently started diving with these 10-inch utility shears. I encounter boating/anchor rope often enough. And will occasionally retrieve high-$ anchors if I can safely do so.

While I can cut rope with my line-cutter (it opens up with a serrated side), tougher rope takes 5-to-15 sawing motions. This beast cuts through rope like it's not even there. So instead of just leaving and avoiding those ropes/entanglements, I'll often give them a couple quick cuts.

20220720_102530.jpg

I carry a standard small knife in the BC pocket (which is huge). Haven't used it since I started in 2005. But here in NS I can't recall ever seeing any fishing line either.

My wife and myself have a small, flat Titanium knife/line-cutter attached to the belt of our BCDs. It's completely inconspicuous. She's an old-school diver (before BCDs) and she would not feel safe without carrying a cutting tool of some kind on any dive. I'm a modern-day diver, but learned a lot of her "bad" habits (we always carry snorkels, and a watch, for instance) !

Have not needed the knife in 300+ dives, but feel better knowing it's there if I ever do.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 10.34.54.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 10.34.54.png
    294.7 KB · Views: 39
I only carried a knife when kelp diving in SoCal, never needed it. The one time I've ever needed one was on a guided dive in Italy when one of my sons became entangled in fishing line. The DM didn't have a cutting tool of any kind so I had to free the line from my boy's hands and first stage as best I could. After that dive I bought a pair of trauma shears and keep them in my BC pocket.

Trilobite on my computer strap, small blunt tip knife on my harness and a slightly larger leg knife (usually just in the lakes at home, rarely leaves my drysuit) Unless specifically banned from a site the two smaller ones are always on me.

At home we come across larger ropes that needs the larger knife (lost anchors etc).. smaller lines get the other tools. Used several times over the years on abandoned lures and line in the lakes... every time I dive a new route or depth around here it seems I come up with line, lures and trash.

Most notable use was on an illegal fishing line near the shores of Tulum where I was the only one (incuding the two instructors acting as guides ) with a cutter of any sort. We freed several critters and removed the line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom