Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have done most of my dives with dive ops in Florida and the Caribbean, and all of those with at least one DM or guide.
I have never carried a knife, and I have never had the need for one in over a hundred dives.
Recently I was on a boat out of Jupiter, FL and I counted at least four divers with knives, one of which was a big honker strapped to the diver's leg that made him look like he was going into combat.
I have no objection to anybody carrying anything that makes them feel more comfortable on a dive (though a teddy bear would get a little soggy). How many of you carry a knife on guided dive trips and why?

I always have a cutting device with me either a blunt tip knife or shears. The only time I don't is when it is not allowed, this will happen in Marine Perseveres and usually won't allow gloves either.

I carry a Trilobite line cutter on my belt. Used it exactly once in 10 years when I got snagged with a fishing hook on the Spiegel Grove. I’m glad that I had it.

You will soon hear the neccesity of carrying a chainsaw on the board.

I've got one of those ceramic line cutters from Dive Right and an old (like 1990's) Tusa knife. I have a hard time envisioning strapping that knife onto my leg for any reasons beside "I bought this thing 20-some years ago and I'm damn well gonna use it".

And that's probably enough reason for me.

I only have a "knife" (really a cutting tool) now because my recently purchased Aqua Lung Lotus BCD has a built-in sheath, so I bought the Aqua Lung tool. It's a blunt point. Shortly after that purchase, my dive buddy got hooked by an a***hole fisherman at Blue Heron Bridge, so I had to cut her loose from the fishing line. It's also come in handy to cut away marine debris or abandoned fishing line wrapped around the reef. I also have a small net bag in my BCD pocket for the marine trash.

A dive buddy of mine has told a story about freeing another diver from a ghost net in Cozumel when both the DM and the diver's buddy had failed to notice and had been swept out of sight downcurrent. I don't know for sure that the story is true and unembellished, but I can't say it's impossible.

I always carry an Eezycut on my harness. Never had to use it to free myself from entanglement, but I have used it a few times to cut fishing line to clean up garbage and remove hazards underwater. It costs almost nothing, takes up almost no space, and requires almost no maintenance, so I fail to see a downside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom