Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with a BFK back in '62, more recent additions are shears, line cutter, and a small very sharp knife. As with other tools, l take what I might need for the job. And besides, I've been wearing the BFK so long that I would swim in circles if I didn't wear it.

Since I mostly solo, I can't rely on my buddy to solve entangelment issues, having the right tool available makes it easier.

There is this new tool from Scubapro for only $300 (that's THREE HUNDRED USD) made for u/w rescue:

Jawz Ti

I'd love to get my hands on one to try it but I'll be very hesitant to actually use it in the sea fearing I may lose it.
May be hesitant to actually cut something with it 😂

May be hesitant to actually cut something with it 😂
I won't be able to take it diving because I'll be worried I'll lose it 🙂

one of which was a big honker strapped to the diver's leg that made him look like he was going into combat.

I do this on every dive! I have been diving since 14 and still have the same US Divers knife from when I was a kid that I take with me. I never need it but I think it looks incredibly cool and think it impresses people.

I have done most of my dives with dive ops in Florida and the Caribbean, and all of those with at least one DM or guide.
I have never carried a knife, and I have never had the need for one in over a hundred dives.
Recently I was on a boat out of Jupiter, FL and I counted at least four divers with knives, one of which was a big honker strapped to the diver's leg that made him look like he was going into combat.
I have no objection to anybody carrying anything that makes them feel more comfortable on a dive (though a teddy bear would get a little soggy). How many of you carry a knife on guided dive trips and why?
In the Jupiter area most ops do offer a guide but you are not obligated to remain with them or the group. The area does have entanglement hazards and there is no reason to believe that the DM will return for you even if you do remain with the group.

Just returning from my yearly diving there in Jupiter I too noticed an unusual number of BFKs strapped to the calves of divers. Beats me, maybe BFKs are returning to fashion. But I do carry a Tekna titanium knife on my waist strap, one or two Trilobites and sometimes shears. If the area is a marine preserve where a knife is specifically not allowed I carry the shears instead or settle for the line cutters.

BFW for scale:

N

I find it amusing how people react to knives. Specially in the US. I think people have more to say about a diver showing up with a usable knife than if someone was to show up with an RPG.

A knife is a tool. It isn't an extension of someone's genitals or compensation for anything.

Somehow, someone decided that a broken knife with no practical handle and pretty useless blade was enough for diving. From that point anyone using a normal usable knife is a target.
Someone made a comment that sounded like: this diver appeared to be going to "combat" or who knows how many more adjectives are used to put down a person using a knife.

What if people would judge similarly, anyone in the road that has a car with an engine capable of going above the speed limit?
In my book it is the same.

A knife is a tool and a broken steak knife is a broken tool. No one suggests to brake a hammer, ruler, or a shovel. Why a knife?

A knife is a tool and a broken steak knife is a broken tool. No one suggests to brake a hammer, ruler, or a shovel. Why a knife?
(just on this point and not the rest of your comment)

I don't do this myself. I believe the intent is an inexpensive DIY hack, to modify (not break) the knife, to either make the knife shorter, or have a blunt tip.

(just on this point and not the rest of your comment)

I don't do this myself. I believe the intent is an inexpensive DIY hack, to modify (not break) the knife, to either make the knife shorter, or have a blunt tip.
Ok . I can see that. I used to love to DIY dive gear myself.

I guess it gets tiresome to hear continuos criticism about carrying a knife while diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom