Dive knives: Tester's choice or go cheapie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine, mounted to my BCD, is actually hard to spot - unlike a foot long leg mounted knife. I've been to more than one place that didn't like knives, and I have never been busted.

Who told you that you couldn't carry a knife? We've got at least 200 dives off Cozumel, and none of us have ever been asked to leave our knives behind.
Here are two contrasting stories about this sort of thing. They happened about a year apart.

We were putting on our gear for a dive in Cozumel. I watched as two divers had their knives in place and were securing their collection bags. I glanced over at the DM, who was watching them with what I perceived to be an uneasy look. I spoke up, telling them that carrying knives and collecting things was not allowed in the marine park. They looked over at the DM and asked if that was true. He nodded and said I was right. They did not hesitate to take them off. The DM was clearly never going to tell them it was against the rules--he had probably been told by his employer not to intervene on that issue.

We were putting on our gear for a dive in Grand Cayman. Two divers were pulling on their gloves. The DM told them that wearing gloves in the marine park could get them a $500,000 fine. They laughed and continued to pull them on. The DM's voice got quite stern. "That's a $500,000 fine! Take them off! Now!" That DM's employer must have had a different policy.

Two different countries.

Two different countries.
You know, you are right. They are two different countries! Good observation!

If you read very, very carefully, though, you will see a larger point. Both countries had similar laws. Both countries rely upon the dive operators to make sure the laws are followed. Thus, individual divers' experiences with the laws of those lands depend more upon the way the dive operators choose to work than the existence of the laws of those lands themselves.

You know, you are right. They are two different countries! Good observation!

If you read very, very carefully, though, you will see a larger point. Both countries had similar laws. Both countries rely upon the dive operators to make sure the laws are followed. Thus, individual divers' experiences with the laws of those lands depend more upon the way the dive operators choose to work than the existence of the laws of those lands themselves.

I call BS on the opinion of the dive operators choices of enforcement. GCM is much more vigilant about their laws (I'm talking specifically about dive ops) than CZM. There's a video of a guy spear fishing for lionfish in GCM. A black tip reef shark starts harassing him for his catch. He fended off the shark and got kicked off the island for it. That would not happen in CZM. It is two different countries with two different laws and two different enforcement priorities.

Try going lionfish spearing in GCM. Let me know how it goes for you.

While I have broken laws in many countries and have never been caught, I feel that obeying the law until such time as my or my buddy's safety and well being will be better served by breaking the law and taking my chances is the most prudent way to go.

Cheers -

I'm very pleased with my Hollis Titanium Line Cutter.

I rarely dive with a knife. However, my #1 recommendation when looking to buy one is to make sure the sheath is fool proof and will retain the knife properly. I've bought a number of cheap dive knives in the past and every one of them has escaped the bonds of the sheath! Fortunately I also find a number of lost knives where I dive so hopefully they match up with the sheaths I have! The same goes for other cutting tools like shears.

Fortunately I also find a number of lost knives where I dive so hopefully they match up with the sheaths I have!

Quite a while back I was diving in the Persian Gulf and found a large dive knife, which was definitely a BFK. The really interesting part of this find was that it was in its sheath! This happened in the 80's. I still have it!

Cheers -

Just get a trilobite line cutter. I've cut line to 1/4". They are awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom