Dive knives ... attaching to you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAddictedLisa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was wondering, other than having the dive knife attached to you (or to your BC) while diving, do you do anything EXTRA to make sure that once you take it out of the holder, that it's still "attached" to you?

My question comes from a discussion of this with my Mom (who is not a diver, but I think she's pretty smart! :D ) who asked, what if you're tangled, and you take out the knife, and then accidentally drop it out of reach?

Anyone take an extra precaution to insure that this scenario doesn't happen?

If you don't need it, don't take it. If you need it, take two.

Ok, this may be a "newbie" thing to ask ... but how would you know you're going to need it in an emergency in advance? Is it always obvious that there will definitely NOT be any way you'll get tangled?

Take two ... now that's a good thought!! Thanks!!

I carry at least 2 knives. Trying to "dummy cord" a knife is much more likely to result in a tangle.

What about those "bungee" type cords that attach to the BC? The coil ones that are short when not expanded, and can be unclipped and removed completely if need be? Or is this still a risk of getting tangled?

Or three even, I have adopted 3 cutting devices now, 1) large knife on my leg 2) BC knife on my left shoulder 3) trauma shears on my waist

I place all of them such that I can get to them with either hand, oh ya, I learned from John Chatterton, buy cheap knives, that way when you drop one your not tempted to do something dumb to get it back. I think I paid $5.99 for my BC knife and the trauma shears I think are about a $3.

I have been wondering about the same question. After completing a solo diver course recently, I learned about the following setup that makes good sense to me: Three cutting devices; at least one of them shears, as they don't require fishing line to be under tension in order to cut it; all cutting devices within "chest triangle", not on the leg, as that could put it out of reach potentially. At least one cutting device attached to my body (or weight harness), i.e. not on the BC. No lanyards, wrist straps etc. as they present the potential to get caught and pull the cutting device away from you. I feel this setup is fairly safe as it provides you with two backups and you can afford to drop one device, theoretically even two of them.

OK, thanks all! Great replies! You've all given me a very solid idea of what I'll be doing! Thanks again!!

Ok, this may be a "newbie" thing to ask ... but how would you know you're going to need it in an emergency in advance?

Evaluate your environment. I don't carry a signaling mirror or SMB when I dive most of the time. I'm a cave diver. These things are not pertinent to my environment. However, I carry more tanks, reels, and lights than an OW diver would because those things are potentially key to my survival in an emergency.

If you are diving in an area where there is an abundance of fishing line, I'd carry at least one backup cutting device, and perhaps 2.

Evaluate your environment. I don't carry a signaling mirror or SMB when I dive most of the time. I'm a cave diver. These things are not pertinent to my environment. However, I carry more tanks, reels, and lights than an OW diver would because those things are potentially key to my survival in an emergency.

If you are diving in an area where there is an abundance of fishing line, I'd carry at least one backup cutting device, and perhaps 2.

Excellent advice. Diving is location specific and the needs and dangers of that location require different tools or equipment. Here is SoCal, most of my diving involves kelp and sometimes fishing line entanglements. A single knife has proven sufficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom