Dive knife when travelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This bag had been x-rayed and hand searched no fewer than six times! I guess they were so distracted by the harmless battery each time that they missed three genuine threats.

A little scary, no?

Scary, yes.. but I can tell you this- from the insider's perspective.. The TSA is often inept and tends to overreach, but the things they do catch all too often make them worth it.

They're damned useless sometimes, but they do what they can. I'm just going to rent or buy a line cutter or some trauma shears when I get to Curacao.
That'll cover it.

Frankly, I think knives are just plain cool, so I'd go buy one just to have it. But if it's really not practical (and a lot of places won't allow them) I see no pressing need. I just don't want to be tangled up in a kelp forest or stray fishing line.

If you have a dive knife and are on a cruise, it will most likely be seized by the cruise line. This happened to my husband this year on our cruise vacation. He had to go down and explain what it was and got a re-claim ticket to get it back when we disembarked. They also confiscated a "little (she a tiny thing) old lady's" paring knife that she used to peel and cut up her fruit. She was livid.

I think I'll stick with trauma shears.

I wear my knife tape to my inner thigh with my Glock.....

Seriously, Cuba take two Glocks:D

Aww, just put the knife in your checked luggage. I've never had a problem.

I wear my knife tape to my inner thigh with my Glock.....

Seriously, Cuba take two Glocks:D

Aww, just put the knife in your checked luggage. I've never had a problem.

Hmm, never thought about taking my guns with me! Glock is next on my list!

Back
Top Bottom