Dive knife for solo diving at CocoView?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an interesting thread. I used a dive knife when I first started diving - in 1977. Haven't used one since. I don't think I've ever been diving with somebody who had a knife. I didn't realize I was diving dangerously!
Though I've never been in a situation when I had to use my knife, I still use it sometimes. For example, recently I set free a snapper who got hooked with the other end of the line entangled in debris. I also often pick up lead fishing weights and need to cut lines for this.

I use my knife, a small titanium knife, every single Dive I do. It holds my long reg hose loop on my belt.

I once used it to dig sand out from underneath mooring block to tie a new rope to the block.

At some point I thought knives were not permitted in the Roatan Marine Park. Not sure if that was true or if it is still the case. Line cutters and shears are the recommended options.

In 400+ dives, I have only needed to use a knife once to cut fishing line that tangled in my first stage on the Ruby E. in San Diego, Ca. In cold water, my gloves make it a difficult to use scissors. At minimum carry a small (Sharp dive knife). I see a lot of divers with EMT scissors.
When solo diving, carrying and practicing to use an SMB might be prudent.
Good Divin, Be Safe
SoCalRich

Can't imagine diving without a cutting tool. I always carry a Trilobite cutter on my waist band and sometimes a dive knife strapped to my right leg.

You never need something until you need it.

I can't decide whether to laugh or shake my head or slap my forehead or do a face-palm when I read someone say, "I don't carry a cutting tool and I've never needed one." Of course not....if you'd ever really needed one you most likely wouldn't be still around to tell us you'd never needed one.

.... a dive knife at CoCo View. In fact I believe they discourage them.

Very little is discouraged at CCV, certainly not dive knives.

... Oh, leave your gloves at home too.

That is one thing that is on a different list: prohibited.

I'm dismayed at the fact that there are divers who go years without using their dive knives. Perhaps it is the knife that is the problem. When I dive my Mares Tris knife [circa 1968], I have found that I use it 100% of the time. Strange as it may seem, the Tris came with a bottle opener to make those post-dive re-hydration exercises that much easier. Twelve ounce curls have never been easier than when properly equipped with a Mares Tris.

Attachments

• vintage-amf-mares-tris-divers-knife_1_4920ea424b1e6a2026ffc9daa3a3193a.jpg
    vintage-amf-mares-tris-divers-knife_1_4920ea424b1e6a2026ffc9daa3a3193a.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 36
There is an enormous amount of fishing line at all NJ dive sites. I carry a trilobite cutter, a paring knife in a small nylon sheath, the tip cut off and ground smooth, and a small dive knife, serrated with a line cutter. All three attached to strategically reachable points on my BC. Both knives are very sharp, and I've had to use them four times during the past two years. I usually go with the small paring knife, razor sharp but no point. The trilobite got me out of a wire leader jam 10 years ago. I once saw a diver at Rock House in Negril come out of his room, chest puffed out, stomach held in, with a big knife strapped to his leg. He was going to dinner. God help us all.

For solo I carry 2 Eezycuts, one on right wrist and one in my pocket. Entanglement is not fun when solo

Back
Top Bottom