Dive knife for solo diving at CocoView?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the responses! I’ll get trauma shears and maybe a small knife. And my number of dives is outdated...

Big plus for the Fogcutter mini. All the tools you will need, but it will need to be checked in travel luggage. My wife gave me a slotted diffuser for for chilling drinks inside of a carafe to protect the blade when it's out of its sheath and in my checked bag.

Like a lot of dive gear, it depends on the location! For clear tropical water with very little garbage and fishing line, one small cutter (like a trilobite on the computer strap) is fine. Never been to CCV but I assume it falls into that category. For northeast wreck diving, 3+ different serious cutters mounted in different positions because entanglement hazards are extremely common. I use my cutting tools a lot, usually cleaning up fishing line which is begging for entanglement.

I would never dive without some sort of cutter.

A big blunt-tipped old-school knife makes a convenient longhose retainer, and when you do need a knife it's nice to have a sturdy one. More often than cutting, it's a multitasker for prying/screwdriving/digging/material probing/tank banging/opening beer or watermelon etc.

Another thing to consider is a wrist lanyard on the cutter, especially if you only have one. Dropping it before finishing the job is likely, and the outcome would be ungood.

I would say the size of your knife should depend on the size of your adversary.

Reactions: Doc
Titanium, it should be noted, may be a metal of which a knife blade could be made. Titanium Nitride is a coating which is applied to many knives (but not to the cutting edge itself).

Titanium metal for a knife metal has some serious shortcomings, chief of which is that it really can not be sharpened to much of an edge. It will retain what edge it has quite well. You simply can not likely sharpen it yourself “at home”.

I know of such obscure stuff, these are mine:
Pry Bar EDC tactical TITANIUM tool SWAT lightweight weapon knife blade US Made! | eBay

There is absolutely no need for a dive knife at CoCo View. In fact I believe they discourage them. However a nice line cutter or shears is appropriate for fitting monofilament fishing line. Oh, leave your gloves at home too.

I ended up getting this knife. Reasonably priced, small enough, has a lanyard (I agree that I might drop it without a lanyard), is made of titanium. Hopefully I never need to use it. I do appreciate all the comments.

Blue Reef Scuba Titanium Folding Knife
I like the bright color but do not like the gut hook. Chances are good you'll get hooked to something or even accidently cut yourself.

Reactions: Zef
This is an interesting thread. I used a dive knife when I first started diving - in 1977. Haven't used one since. I don't think I've ever been diving with somebody who had a knife. I didn't realize I was diving dangerously!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom