Dive kayak opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abehunt

Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing a kayak to dive from. Any info on the pros and cons on the kinds and types, certian brands, inflatable vs rigid etc. Any experiences you may have had diving from a kayak. I would like to get a tandem for the recreation purposes. It is a moderate investment and a selling point with the significant other is if I got a tandem we could use it together and not just for diving. I would be using mostly for diving in the ocean. I think I have narrowed it down to a cobra tandem but would definatly like some input

abehunt:
I am thinking of purchasing a kayak to dive from. Any info on the pros and cons on the kinds and types, certian brands, inflatable vs rigid etc. Any experiences you may have had diving from a kayak. I would like to get a tandem for the recreation purposes. It is a moderate investment and a selling point with the significant other is if I got a tandem we could use it together and not just for diving. I would be using mostly for diving in the ocean. I think I have narrowed it down to a cobra tandem but would definatly like some input

Are you looking to have two divers go off a double kayak? The cobra tandem would be too small I think for two divers, but just fine for one diver or two paddlers.

Brian

I had a DiveYak 2 seater inflatable ,,,,was a great craft.... 650lbs. capasity.

I have used single seaters with ok results,,,,,the 2 seater offers much more flexability---TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!! :)

Do not get a tandem. Get your wife or gf her own kayak. DO NOT GET A TANDEM. Trust me on this.

This site no longer allows pictures but I have a Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW. I also recommend the Prowler 13. I might also recomend the Scrambler XL and the OK Drifter. The Drifter is for bigger fellows I think. I really like the Prowler 13 and it also comes in a 15 foot version. I think most people will find the 13 best. The Scupper like mine can carry an completely outfitted second aluminum 80 in the forward hold.

I have dived sites from my Scupper several miles to sea. It is reasonably fast and seaworthy. There are several older threads here and do a google on kayak diving. Here is a picture of my Scupper near the Destin Jetties earlier this year. I dove and paddled with a pod of dolphins--they came to me---I made no attempt to follow or interfere with them. Apparently they were feeding on schooling fish and they mostly ignored me except for one little one which was curious enough to come up to me. They came and went over a several hour period. N

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/DSCF0040.jpg

"How does one get out of the water and into the kayak without flipping it over?"

Well, sometimes you do. For one thing, gear is removed in the water and then teathered from the kayak. Then the diver reaches across and grabs the kayak and with a quick and strong kick get yourself laying across it. Then, spin around and come up sitting on it. Yeah, it takes practice. One rule of kayak diving is that the hatches must always be closed--open only to stow or retrieve gear---one piece at a time. Since a sit on top kayak does not flood like a sit inside type (as long as the hatch is closed) you just roll it over and try again. It takes practice for sure. After aboard you retrieve your gear.

A tandem kayak used solo wll not balance out correctly nor will it paddle well, it will wander and the wind will blow it about. Kayaks are designed to operate with a specific load range--a tandem will not be loaded correctly when solo in most cases.

Texasdiver is talking about an inflatible, I don't care for inflatible kayaks, they don't paddle very well. My Scupper can make trips of many miles even in current and wind. You might find you like to kayak for things other than diving. If you want a rubber boat get something like this in the pic. It is a 14 footer and can use up to 50 horsepower but works well with a 25. It has flip up (also removable) wheels for launching directly from the beach.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/DSCF0469.jpg

N

Nemrod:
A tandem kayak used solo wll not balance out correctly nor will it paddle well, it will wander and the wind will blow it about. Kayaks are designed to operate with a specific load range--a tandem will not be loaded correctly when solo in most cases. N

Tandem kayaks do load evenly and I pers. have used them on solo operation many times with wonderful results,,,,not as quick though for sure. Guess it personal preferance to the unit you use......with a tandem you offer greater buddy diving to those whom don't own a craft,,,not to mention the option of over-night gear that many divers use for multi day treks. The inflatable offers great packing and transporting ease...can be inflated off a 19cf pony bottle in a flash.

How can a tandem load evenly when the seating positions are fixed? If you refer to the pic of the Scupper beached you will see that the paddling location is near the middle. Forward is a huge hatch that swallows up camping gear and duffle bags or an entire outfitted aluminum 80 totally rigged out. In the back the first rig is set up or for non diving purposes an ice chest or rubber duffle etc can go there. This boat has been on multi day trips and it is FAST. It paddles fast and when I install the rudder it tracks like an arrow. You can paddle all day long in this boat covering great distance. Two different boats for different purpose. I would not get a hard shell sit on top in a tandem model for solo use. I would get two singles.

We are talking about two different types of boats here, the original post mentions uses other than diving, One thing, sit on tops are wet boats, in cold weather you will find a conventional kayak better but of course you cannot dive from them. With scupper plugs installed and wearing neoprene kayak shorts I have been comfortable for many hours of padldling.

Check out: www.kayakdiver.com

N

I have a Cobra Fish/Dive Kayak & I love it. It has plenty of storage space & is very stable. It can be a bit bulky when transporting but, considering that I'm a 50 yr. old, female, I'm able to handle it solo.

Nemrod:
How can a tandem load evenly when the seating positions are fixed? If you refer to the pic of the Scupper beached you will see that the paddling location is near the middle. Forward is a huge hatch that swallows up camping gear and duffle bags or an entire outfitted aluminum 80 totally rigged out. In the back the first rig is set up or for non diving purposes an ice chest or rubber duffle etc can go there. This boat has been on multi day trips and it is FAST. It paddles fast and when I install the rudder it tracks like an arrow. You can paddle all day long in this boat covering great distance. Two different boats for different purpose. I would not get a hard shell sit on top in a tandem model for solo use. I would get two singles.

N

Dive gear is heavy, especially in cold water, and for better or for worse a rigged 80 with weights can weigh 70lbs, enough to stabilize the bow. Add a 2nd 80 and you're over 100lbs. Yes soloing a tandem will not move you as fast as a scupper. However lots of people choose Fish'n'dives over scuppers for the flexibility all that extra lift and space gives them, and a smaller tandem isn't all that different.

I use a tarpon 140 which is slightly shorter than a scupper but can still make 3-4kts. It's nice to have for 3 mile trips to dive sites or 15 mile day paddles, but in my experience (Monterey and Puget Sound) most sites are less than a mile out.

Where specifically are you interested in diving abe? What other uses do you want out of the kayak?

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom