Dive Guides on Barrier Reef liveaboards and other GBR questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turbittj

New
Reaction score
I've recently been told that on liveaboards on the GBR there are no divemasters leading the dive. Is this true? If so any comments on how hard it is to navigate around, and how many surprises you face diving the reef regarding current, direction, depth, air, etc. Also, how would you rate the diving on the GBR. Probably the vast majority of people I've talked to have found it disappointing. Does anyone have any recommendations on liveaboards out of Cairns, and any idea into whether you can get a discount on a boat pulling out of the dock at the last minute?

turbittj:
I've recently been told that on liveaboards on the GBR there are no divemasters leading the dive. Is this true? If so any comments on how hard it is to navigate around, and how many surprises you face diving the reef regarding current, direction, depth, air, etc. Also, how would you rate the diving on the GBR. Probably the vast majority of people I've talked to have found it disappointing. Does anyone have any recommendations on liveaboards out of Cairns, and any idea into whether you can get a discount on a boat pulling out of the dock at the last minute?

I went on Undersea Explorer out of Port Douglas and yes the general guideline was buddy diving with the DM in charge staying on the boat. However they had in general a couple of DMs in the water as well and you were welcome to dive with them if you wanted to...

The diving is really good on GBR in my opinion, and even better if you head out to the Coral Sea.

Have fun !

turbittj:

I've dived off of Mike Ball's Spoilsport and Supersport on both the GBR and Flinder's Reef in the Coral Sea. Nice operations, but pricey. I've heard good terms are available at the last minute if there's space available.

Off those two boats (and the Paradise Sport in PNG), dives aren't guided. They're well-briefed, chase boats are in the water, and DM's usually are as well. Buddy diving is the norm, and the boat will provide an experienced diver from the crew as a buddy if you ask. Solo diving, under a reasonable set of rules, is also permitted. It's my kind of diving - you're treated as an adult with no hand-holding.

We spent a week aboard the Nimrod Explorer. Anytime divers wanted to dive with a guide, it was no problem. We recommend them highly!

Let's get wet! :palmtree:
Eric.

We were on that boat last October, and every dive had at least one guide, and usually two or three (for only six paying divers). I thought that they did a great job almost all the time, both watching out for the divers and pointing out interesting things. I don't know where you've dived, but I imagine that GBR in general, and Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea, would compare favorably to most places -- it certainly is better than Cozumel in terms of both coral and marine life, and I am very fond of that spot.

Valwood1:
We were on that boat last October, and every dive had at least one guide, and usually two or three (for only six paying divers). I thought that they did a great job almost all the time, both watching out for the divers and pointing out interesting things. I don't know where you've dived, but I imagine that GBR in general, and Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea, would compare favorably to most places -- it certainly is better than Cozumel in terms of both coral and marine life, and I am very fond of that spot.

What Valwood said was true for us too, I would say there was always one guide in the water. In the beggining of the trip they wanted us to stick together, and especiallly if there was a current. As the days wore on we were pretty much diving at the same time as everyone but we were left too our own recognicense. "Diversity" was a great intro for us in liveaboard
we would like to do liveaboard again.

Caymaniac

I've done both the SpoilSport and the SuperSport with Mike Ball and thorougly enjoyed both. They have great dive briefings and, if you would like, you can request a dive master to go with you.
I'd go back with Mike Ball in a minute!

Dived Diversity to the Coral sea and GBR we also dived in PNG at the same time. IMHO PNG was far superior than the others totaly unspoilt and very few divers. The most we had diving at one time was six the rest of the time it was four, one dive with just my wife and I and a couple of night dives just my wife and the DM. Service was the best.
Althou we dived from a resort http://www.walindi.walindi.com/walindidivesites.html there are two liveaboards from there.

I went on a liveaboard with Down Under Dive http://www.downunderdive.com.au/ who were excellent. They have a 140 foot long tall sailing ship called the Atlantic Clipper. They put the sails up one day for us and we were hurtling through the water at a pretty wild angle and then all of a sudden the dolphins came and were jumping over the bow of the ship. Doesn't get any better than that.

I think it fairly much the norm, regardless of who you go with, that you'll be sent off in buddy pairs unless there's some arranged activity such as a fish feed or you ask for someone to lead you

You'll also find that the dive briefs are good and safety standards are quite high - the reef brings a lot of money, no one wants to lose a tourist and scare others away

Getting back to the boat isn't that difficult as most of the time you can follow the reef back. If you should get lost just surface, have a look around to get your bearings and then head on in. The boat is never usually too far from the reef and there's nothing much to block your view. On some sites, like Pixies pinnacle or Steve's Bommie, all the dive takes place just circling up so you'd be hard pushed to get lost.

Don't let lack of a guide scare you tho as once you've done a few dives that way you'll find being led again a bit more restrictive than being able to go wherever you want, to see whatever you want.

As regards depth and air the same rules apply as apply to any dive anywhere, keep an eye on them, and only go as deep as you're certified to.

Personally I loved the diving on the GBR and had a great time on the boat thanks to a good crew, a great cook and a good mix of poeple on board. I went out on the Taka II but now they have an even bigger boat so that might be worth checking

As regards discounts, if you have a day or so to spare you can head into Cairns and see if you can get last minute trips. If you can, you may get a large discount off of the normal price but be warned that in high season you may not get anything and be stuck in Cairns until the next trips leave, 4 or 5 days later. You're also unlikely to get a choice of cabin if that's important to you.

Back
Top Bottom