Dive Goes Bad Fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to go back to the line but my buddy was not going to go (the emphatic up signals). We had practiced ascents using each others alternate octo. We even practice individual ascents with a free flowing regulator in the pool in april (at my suggestion). I thought all the small steps up to the deeper dive were enought (obviously I was wrong, we could have used more practice). I did deep dive in my AOW (I had no issues there). Personally, I think we would have been fine except for the third diver offering air and my buddy accepting it. Going up the line would have been my choice as well but I don't think it was right for my buddy at the time.

When people practice ooa ascents,rarely are all the bubbles,in a real scenario accounted for.I would practice after handing off my backup to him,turning off his air and ascending using your b.c and/or drysuit since his will be unoperational.

I think we just got an object lesson in why, if you are going to carry a pony, it should have enough gas in it for the dive in question.

Doing an ascent while sharing gas during a freeflow is a lot of task-loading -- Having done it, I know! Luckily, mine was only from about 35 feet, and my air-sharing buddy was a GUE instructor, but I still found it a challenge to control my buoyancy. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm really glad I practice air-sharing ascents pretty regularly when they aren't needed; that way, when I have to deal with the stress of something that really REQUIRED an air-share, I hope it will be easier.

Anyway, glad you both came out okay.

I think we just got an object lesson in why, if you are going to carry a pony, it should have enough gas in it for the dive in question.

Doing an ascent while sharing gas during a freeflow is a lot of task-loading -- Having done it, I know! Luckily, mine was only from about 35 feet, and my air-sharing buddy was a GUE instructor, but I still found it a challenge to control my buoyancy. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm really glad I practice air-sharing ascents pretty regularly when they aren't needed; that way, when I have to deal with the stress of something that really REQUIRED an air-share, I hope it will be easier.

Anyway, glad you both came out okay.

I agree Lynne, I had an actual air share emergency during a freeflow from 125 feet last summer. That wasn't fun at all. Passed off my long hose, went to the bungee'd backup, shut down his valve then attempted an ascent with no control on his BC. Switched his valve back on and fortunetly his Reg had relaxed and let him have BC control back. We even managed 2 safety stops along the way. We were both pleased how we handled it, but it was anything but fun.

My buddy and I leaned never to trust someone elses gear (just your buddies). That things can go from bad to really really bad, really really fast. That even with practice you can't deal with every situation that will arise, only be as ready and trained as possible.

Excellent post, thanks for sharing it. Good luck on your next reg set but don't every think that one was ever made that can't freeflow. Go back to little steps and keep doing drills with your dive buddy.

I'm glad you guys are OK. Thanks for sharing your experience. I never even thought of a scenario where a passerby might just offer a small pony bottle temporarily! That just seems crazy......

Glad to hear everyone's safe...

Quick question for those who may know, along the lines of this post... Which stage has more responsibility for free flow? I've dealt with free-flows on a second stage primary, and was able to breathe the octo on ascent (while either adjusting the venturi, or manipulating the primary, trying to resolve). However, if it's the second stage that's responsible, then what is the purpose of environmentally sealing the first stage?

Or perhaps it's a 'shared responsibility' of both stages that contributes?

diverrobs, I'm glad that all turned out fine and that you are both alive and healthy. I'd like to make a comment or two perhaps which you are free to ignore as I am FAR less experienced than you or anyone else in here.

The way I see it, when people die under water it is rarely a result of just a stupid mistake or a bad judgement call but rather a combination of problems that, combined, became too much for the diver to handle. So while you concede that accepting air from a third diver was a bad idea I don't think that is what caused your emergency per se. I would rather think that accepting air from a third diver was just one more variable that was added to the mix which, combined with the fact that you did not ascend along the mooring line and that you were diving with the wrong gear and whatever else, proved to be just that little bit too much.

Imagine, while all of this was happening your own reg started free-flowing as well and let's say your mask was knocked off your face. Sure, any one of these eventualities can be dealt with easily but throw it all together and you might not have survived the emergency.

I'm glad I read your account as it will certainly make me more conscious in future as well. In fact, I think on our very next dive I will practise air sharing while ascending.

If I may be so bold I would offer a suggestion that your buddy needs a serious reprimand. By not handling a free-flowing reg properly and refusing to swim back to the mooring line, he not only endangered his own life but yours as well. If, as I say, a few other variables got added to the equation and you died as a result, it would be inaccurate to say that you died because your mask was knocked off your face when you already had to deal with a less than ideal situation arrising from prior mistakes in the dive.

It seems to be the case that the gear was not up to the dive.

Your buddy is doing the right thing setting out insearch of a more appropiate reg. for the cold water. He may want to have a word with the pony guy as well.

I would mention I dive a 6cuft Zeagle intragrated pony in rec limits and doubles below that.

-C

What a lot of folks fail to do, never mind for scuba diving, but any venture that involves critical decision making; is to prepare for the dive. The couple dives "the two of you" completed prior to this dive; gaining familiarity with each other's equipment as well as each others actions and character under the surface. That deserves a lot of kudos from my book. Finally as you said, trust your equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom