Dive Gear.. never loose your luggage again.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw a great little gadget that I thought was very interesting, especially when traveling with dive gear. It was introduced at the Las Vegas CES show this year and their web site says it will start being shipped in April.

Here is the link to their web site and blurb on how it works. Could be a trip saver if your luggage gets lost.

Trakdot Luggage Tracker

Trakdot’s a little thingy you put in your bags, tracking it with your smartphone if it gets lost, anywhere in the world. It goes to sleep when your luggage is in the air and then sends you a text when your bags and the plane they’re in have landed. This way you’ll know if your bag winds up in a different city than the one you’re in. It’ll cost $50 for the device itself, then another $13 a year to use it once it hits shelves in March.

Another
cool feature. The Trackdot will ping your phone when your bag is 30 feet from you. That means you can do something else (read, watch a video, get a rental car, etc) while waiting for your luggage to arrive, instead of just staring at a conveyor belt for 10 minutes.

Attachments

• TRAKDOT-DEVICE.jpg
    TRAKDOT-DEVICE.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 761
interesting, however it seems to me that there isn't anything you can do about it if your luggage gets on the wrong plane.

The only difference would be that you would know before you took off instead of after you landed. Not sure if that is worth 50 +13/year

interesting, however it seems to me that there isn't anything you can do about it if your luggage gets on the wrong plane.

The only difference would be that you would know before you took off instead of after you landed. Not sure if that is worth 50 +13/year

Would you rather go up to the lost luggage department at the airport and say "My luggage is lost ???" or "My luggage is lost and here is where it is sitting (showing them your smartphone screen location)".

I've seen many many people loose half their dive vacations waiting for their luggage to show up at the resort or live-a-board while not having a clue where it is. This should also allow you to track it while it is in transit to your dive resort where you are staying, just like the "Find my iPhone" app does.

I have had my luggage lost twice, once in Mexico and once in Ukraine. Both times, the airline knew exactly where it was, and got it to me the next day.

Like I said, this device is interesting, but until I know of cases where the airline needed help finding my luggage, I am probably not willing to pay for this.

Would you rather go up to the lost luggage department at the airport and say "My luggage is lost ???" or "My luggage is lost and here is where it is sitting (showing them your smartphone screen location)".
Exactly. In my experiences with lost luggage, even though we've always gotten it back sooner or later, the airline generally doesn't seem to have a clue and you never get the warm fuzzies you will see it again.

I think it's a great idea. I have had the airline loose my luggage on a nonstop flight for 4 days. The airline had no idea where my stuff was. I had to attend the first day of a seminar in shorts and flip flops then go out shopping to buy clothing and toiletries. They delivered my luggage to my hotel on Thursday, seminar was over Friday. It would have been nice to let the airline know where to look!

$50 initial cost and $13/yr..................sounds like something that would be worth $5.25/month for your first year and then $1.09/month from then on . Seems cheap compared to dealing with the blank "we don't know where your bags are" stares or the dreaded insurance claim. :banghead:

Last edited:
One problem I see is my phone (not a smart phone) cost me two arms and two legs to use (turn on) if I'm out of the US. Granted, that cost would be cheaper then replacing all the gear in my dive bag.
Yes, this thing does come with a web access for tracking.

I like the concept and the cost is OK, not great (each $13 year cost only tracks one bag after the initial $50 cost)

Also, I can picture a TSA agent going through my bags and pushing the on/off button trying figure out "what this thingy is?" and leaving it in the off position.

Try hard as I can, but I can not get all my scuba diving gear and a week's worth of vacation clothing under 50 pounds. So I have to have two bags. Most trips I can put the smaller carry on bag over head, but I've run into some flights where the over heads are full. Now add my buddy (DW) and the cost is $52 a year after a $200 initial cost for 4 bags. That's a lot of beer!!

Cool idea. I wouldn't mind spending the $50 for the device, but the $13 a year stuff is where I lose interest.

Personally, I keep all my dive gear in my carry on: regs, computer, mask fins, wetsuit and my wife packs my BCD in her carry on.. it is a tight fit. I just don't trust the airline workers, because I'm afraid they will misplace it or steal it. I can always buy more clothes in Cozumel if they lose/steal my checked bag, but I would be ticked to have to trust my life to used rental equipment.

Back
Top Bottom