Dive flag-Swim with it or anchor it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We always tow the dive flag when we dive. First,as a saftey, if I need to make an asent I know I have additional floation at the surface, second, if my dive buddy gets "misplaced" they know to surface, find the flag and that's where I'll be. In addition we use the type which uses an inner tube as its floation, this works great for hauling the camera and "stuff" to the dive site and back.

dmmike:
We always tow the dive flag when we dive. First,as a saftey, if I need to make an asent I know I have additional floation at the surface, second, if my dive buddy gets "misplaced" they know to surface, find the flag and that's where I'll be. In addition we use the type which uses an inner tube as its floation, this works great for hauling the camera and "stuff" to the dive site and back.

Only in NE, all the same uses we have for this contraption. As we know in MA the flags are great for "Lobster Fisherman Giant Slalom Events" also. I surely have yet to meet a local boater that knew to keep away unless there are scuba tanks on that there boat.

dmmike:
In addition we use the type which uses an inner tube as its floation, this works great for hauling the camera and "stuff" to the dive site and back.

How does towing an innertube handle as far as drag? I picked up a simple foam float with an attached flag because we have a consistent 15-20mph wind and I thought anything larger would make me fight it the whole dive, have you found this to be the case?

Aloha, Tim

Many have found dive flags, if not required to be more dangerous than not having one. Many boaters use dive flags as slalom courses or pick them up and motor off (heaven help you if it is attached.)

Personally, I think this issue can be solved by selecting the right dive flag float as pictured below.

Ok, I admit it. Sometime I am a baaaad boy. But you have to admit, they would not be hanging aroound that dive flag float or messing with it. Now if we could only get a light weight rubber inflatable that looked like a marine floating mine to put dive flags on, that would be nice.

pasley:
Ok, I admit it. Sometime I am a baaaad boy. But you have to admit, they would not be hanging aroound that dive flag float or messing with it. Now if we could only get a light weight rubber inflatable that looked like a marine floating mine to put dive flags on, that would be nice.

That's funny - I was thinking the same thing when I looked at that picture...

pasley:
This would have been handy for the Cozumel divers that were run over by the cruise ship a few weeks ago. Then we would also have a new shallow water wreck dive :11:

Dont tie it off onto your bcd....hold the reel. If a boat hits it and drags it off....you dont want to experience water skiing on fins !

Given the amount of resistance a diver has in the water, coupled with his inertia and the relative thin-ness of the cord, id be willing to bet that the rope would snap before you were given a tow. Might be kinda unpleasant though.

-Matt

Hey Pasley, think you can get that thing to react to a fishook? cause if you can, I want one bad!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom