Dive flag-Swim with it or anchor it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EuphoriaII

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking about getting a float and flag (new diver) and I was wondering, do most of you pull the flag around with you or anchor it to the bottom and just stay more or less within the prescribed distance? If you anchor it, what do you use as an anchor? Initally I expect to be lake diving in 25-60ft and possibly at the jetties in Panama City Beach, FL this June. I ask because I'm trying to decide if I should buy a reel for it or just some nylon anchor rope. :crafty:

EuphoriaII:
I'm thinking about getting a float and flag (new diver) and I was wondering, do most of you pull the flag around with you or anchor it to the bottom and just stay more or less within the prescribed distance? If you anchor it, what do you use as an anchor? Initally I expect to be lake diving in 25-60ft and possibly at the jetties in Panama City Beach, FL this June. I ask because I'm trying to decide if I should buy a reel for it or just some nylon anchor rope. :crafty:
I tow mine around because that allows me to move around a lot more. If I were to spend a lot of time in one small area I would just tie it off to something instead of using an anchor.

You don't need anything stong enough to be considered "anchor rope". A sufficient length of nylon twine (braided, not twisted) will do. A reel is nice, but I've used the manual "plastic hanger" type )=( of winder from a boat, an actual reel, and just a spool (both homemade and (when that broke) commercial). For an inland lake with no surface conditions, a spool might be all you'll need.

Yours is an interesting question, because the answer is "it depends." A flag can have more use than just warning off boats, so sometimes it's good to haul it around with you even when diving a fairly small site where just tying it off or anchoring it would satisfy the legal requirement. For example, on shallow but very low vis dives we'll have the leader haul the flag around so that if any member of the team loses sight they can surface, swim to the flag and follow the line down to rejoin.
On the other hand, if conditions allow the flag to be tied off or anchored, that's a lot easier than hauling the thing around with you.
Rick

EuphoriaII:

Well, my suggestion would be to bring it with you. You never know in what proximity to your dive flag you may be at when the time to make an emergency ascent comes. Your flag is for your safety and to anchor it would be to be without it when you may need it most. Depending on what type of flag outfit you buy, it also can be used as a floatation device in time of need. Also, I believe it is required to fly a dive flag when diving. Hope this approach makes "good" sense to you. Good luck!

Respectfully,

JustDiveIt

I usually anchor my flag in about 20ft of water, then pick it up when I surface. if I have to surface away from it I can use my DSMB instead. If needed you could always attach a flag to the DSMB ahead of time, so you basically have a backup flag if needed. - most of my diving is in the same depths you listed, but ocean, so probably a few more waves, etc..

Aloha, Tim

I genarally anchor mine then get the hell away from it and let the fishermen in the area cast over it so I can dive in peace!

I like to tie off and head out from there. Our local code says you must stay within 25 feet of the flag at a depth shallower than 25 feet. The other option I have found for shallow diving as I am clutzy with the darn rope is a retractable dog leash (only good to 35') nice handle that locks leash in place and takes up slack without reeling by hand or winding. Some day one of the dive companies will re-invent this item as a dive item and triple the price, but hopefully increase the length. They make retractors for all the other gear but I have never been tangled in my guage console before and I can't remember a dive when I didn't get tangled in the flag rope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom