Dive Flag / SMB for South Florida beach diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I'm beach diving Lauderdale-by-the-sea next month when I come visit Florida and everything I read says I have to dive with a dive flag.
Does a SMB (dive sausage) qualify?
Also, there will be 5 of us. Is that requirement for each buddy pair? What if we all dive together?
Thanks

Well, I'm not an expert but I believe that you have to have a flag & that if you are all within 100 ft. of that flag, you're okay. Boats must remain 300 ft. away from the flag in open water.

SMB does not count -- need an actual dive flag and yes all of you can stick under 1 flag --- good news is if you're diving LBTS gold coast has them for sale/rent --- depending on how many people renting what

.. they do give tickets for not being with a flag. so 5 people can get away with 1 but if you have to then if someone gets tired/hurt/ooa they can come back in w/o causing the whole group to.

You can pick one up online or dive shop in florida at very reasonable price or if you will likely never use again, just rent on or two. Beyond the legalities. it should be much easier to tow anyway.

Well, I'm not an expert but I believe that you have to have a flag & that if you are all within 100 ft. of that flag, you're okay. Boats must remain 300 ft. away from the flag in open water.

That's not really the case. Any boat within 300' must basically be at idle speed( no wake). If you couldn't get withing 300' most the reef dive sites with mooring balls would be limited to 4 or less vessels, and in some spots there are dozens of mooring balls.

That's not really the case. Any boat within 300' must basically be at idle speed( no wake). If you couldn't get withing 300' most the reef dive sites with mooring balls would be limited to 4 or less vessels, and in some spots there are dozens of mooring balls.

You're right. Boats may approach at idle speed.

but they quite often dont!!! especially during mini-season or if the operator is drunk

Yeah, I guess that's why I forgot to mention it cuz where I dive, they vary rarely drop to idle speed.

While not all boaters understand the dive flag meaning many do. Also members of the group should have safety
sausages or smb's as well in case there is a seperation and they find themselves alone. The diver towing flag should
also have an smb in case by some chance the dive flag gets away. If you have a group of five you may consider two groups with
each group towing their own flag. If viz is down it is easier to keep a group of three together than a group of five. Maybe
put the most experienced diver with the group of three and the next most experienced diver with the group of two.

P.S. Consider the dive flag with the round white styrofoam float and yellow handle and line. It's probably the one most frequently
used down this way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom