Dive flag rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don-
Nice reference page, thanks. I've sent Chris the Oregon regs, which don't require anything of boaters other than "exercising caution" around a dive flag. Our sheriff's water patrol team, when asked the same question a few months ago, said the dive flag is a "no wake zone."

IALA A, IALA B, at least we're sailing, says I.

grazie42:
Sting once bubbled:

I recently took a course in Florida and whenever the instructor started talking feet, fahrenheit or some other f-word i´d just as him what that meant in metric...calculating atm from feet is just a PITA...so much simpler in meters...
PSI? or is it PSIG? lets just use BAR...

I told him I thought the red/white thing looked nice and then asked him where he kept the diveflag :eyebrow:

lol nice :)

By the way, metric mesurements and celcius are way more precise than the old english system... Sorry guys, but personnaly I prefer to be uptodate :wink:

Err precise ? How do you work that out. Metric and imperial are just as accurate.

You can have 25 decimal places on both measurements if needed. You want more accurate? Just add another decimal point.

There are many arguments against imperial but imprecise isnt a valid one.

You may be thinking its easier to mentally approximate values with say 10m == 1atm and so on but its not more precise.

String:
Err precise ? How do you work that out. Metric and imperial are just as accurate.

You can have 25 decimal places on both measurements if needed. You want more accurate? Just add another decimal point.

There are many arguments against imperial but imprecise isnt a valid one.

You may be thinking its easier to mentally approximate values with say 10m == 1atm and so on but its not more precise.

maybe precise wasn't the good word, but what do you want, I'm not english :crafty:

We've always counted in base 10, so to me, 1/8 of an inch is nothing.. 1 centimeter, there you go! It's much more logical, usefull and practical.

Personnaly, i prefered to keep up with the scientific community rather than some English King in the Middle Ages that decided that his foot was a mesurement unit :wink:

Ive spent many years in science, all my physics calculations and so forth use SI units as thats how its done these days.

I STILL have to convert from msec-1 into miles per hour to get a feel for how fast something is and such.

It depends on what you were brought up to and used to - if youve always used metric you'll have an instinctive feel for it. If brought up on imperial you'll have an instinctive feel for that. Neither is more accurate than the other or more logical if youve always been exposed to it.

I dont see a kilometer as useful or practical but i do understand a mile for example.

Different units, different systems, both accurate just both have different followers.

eponym:
Our sheriff's water patrol team, when asked the same question a few months ago, said the dive flag is a "no wake zone."

IALA A, IALA B, at least we're sailing, says I.
WOW!!!!

String said:
It depends on what you were brought up to and used to - if youve always used metric you'll have an instinctive feel for it. If brought up on imperial you'll have an instinctive feel for that. Neither is more accurate than the other or more logical if youve always been exposed to it.

I agree with you on the instinctual feel stuff...I know feet or F or mph dont mean anything to me until I´ve converted them to metric...same with currency actually...a $ doesent mean **** to me until its converted to SEK...

As for them being equally logical, IMHO, base 10 is so much easier/logical then whatever the relationship between feet and inches and what-not...also that water freezes at 0C rather then at 32F makes a lot more sense to me...

Temperature measures are the one metric thing that does make sense to me more than most :)

String:
Temperature measures are the one metric thing that does make sense to me more than most :)
At first look that seems true. Then I ask myself how important the freezing and boilng points of distilled water at one atm are to me.

While it is true that Celsius is actually based on something precise rather than some guesses, neither Celsius or Fahrenheit (or Kelvin or Rankine for that matter) have a corner on common sense.

Back
Top Bottom