Dive flag rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisch:
Isn't that the DAN flag? Or the Swiss Navy?

String - I just have a vison of that big blow-up leek Max Boyce had as the new SMB...
(That will confuse the yanks).

Chris

Actually, here's a good write up of the history of the flag.

In the US, the laws vary from state to state. For Florida's overview of the law, look here. What isn't mentioned there is the FINES that are now being levied against boaters who buzz dive flags and or otherwise disregard the use of the flag at appropriate times.

Different states, different laws. Outside of the US the Alpha flag is more widely used.

String:
Its still confusing given most of planet earth use IALA A with the exception of the USA. Youd have thought/hoped that someone could have standardised things by now.
Region B is quite a bit larger than that, North & South America and parts of the Far East. I do not know about the Pacific islands.

The cardinal system is also used in some places, although I have never seen it.

String:
Its still confusing given most of planet earth use IALA A with the exception of the USA. Youd have thought/hoped that someone could have standardised things by now.
The US has its own definition of gallon, different to the UK and the rest of the world uses liters/litres, except that most of the UK now uses litres too, esp. divers who find meters and liters better than feet and cubic feet or the like. Hey come to that there's pressure and bars and ATMs and PSIs..
Nearly all Europe uses the Euro, but the brits don't or will not..
Then there's DIN fitting vs. A-clamp. Come to that there's the debate about H valves vs. octopus.
Not that we can agree about spelling..
Here in Italy tanks need testing every so often about 4 years, but not to IDEST standards and the O2 clean lasts 2 years. Take the tank over the border to Switzerland and they won't fill it. The yanks think 232 Bar is high pressure..

I agree. Its about time we standardized/standardised these things..

Chris

CBulla:
What isn't mentioned there is the FINES that are now being levied against boaters who buzz dive flags and or otherwise disregard the use of the flag at appropriate times.

Can we have them over here too please? Please... Please......

Chris

Cardinal buoys are used here (uk) in addition to IALA A channel markers - no idea about elsewhere though

chrisch:
The US has its own definition of gallon, different to the UK and the rest of the world uses liters/litres,

Please lets all use gallons, i HATE litres and i measure mileage in miles per gallon, cost per litre means nothing to me !

except that most of the UK now uses litres too, esp. divers who find meters and liters better than feet and cubic feet or the like.

Most divers, myself included, use litres/bar for diving but use gallons, pounds and so on for everything outside it.

Hey come to that there's pressure and bars and ATMs and PSIs..

Now bar/atm does make more sense :)

Nearly all Europe uses the Euro, but the brits don't or will not..

And fortunately never will - When b'liar has his vote he'll lose it by a massive majority just like he'll lose the constitution vote.

Vote no, vote early, vote often :)

Then there's DIN fitting vs. A-clamp. Come to that there's the debate about H valves vs. octopus.

My regs are A-clamp but im thinking about getting them replaced by DIN which IMHO is a far superior system. H valves on tanks i only see abroad but would be nice to see here, you can have an element of redundancy on a single tank then.

Not that we can agree about spelling..
Here in Italy tanks need testing every so often about 4 years, but not to IDEST standards and the O2 clean lasts 2 years. Take the tank over the border to Switzerland and they won't fill it. The yanks think 232 Bar is high pressure..

I have no idea what cylinder test standards are here now, the HSE keep changing them under pressure from the EU nazis. All in all its guess work !

I agree. Its about time we standardized/standardised these things..

Chris

SOME things :). Oh yeah, we still drive on the left and proud of it :)

Thats possibly true - we're standardising - fitting in with Italy and Greece where theyve always done it :)

Then again some roads here are only about 1.5 cars wide so makes it kind of hard to go 1 x 1 (but people try).

letteram.gif

A I have a diver down, keep well clear and at a slow speed.
B I am taking on, carrying or discharging dangerous goods.
C Yes, affirmative.
D Keep clear of me, I am manoeuvring with difficulty.
E I am directing my course to starboard.
F I am disabled, communicate with me.
G I require a pilot; I am hauling nets.
H I have a pilot on board.
I I am directing my course to port.
J I am on fire and have dangerous cargo on board. Keep well clear.
K I wish to communicate with you.
L You should stop. I have something important to communicate.
M My vessel is stopped and making no way through the water.

Sid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom