Dive Flag or Marker buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lee08

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was diving out here in Hawaii and a boat from one of the Parasailing companies picked up my dive buoy and took off with it. We were right under it in about 40ft of water. Glad my buddy was paying attention and didn't get tangled up in the line, could have gotten real ugly if he would have. Went to the manager of the company and he admitted they took the flag. Didn't act like it was a big deal. I tried to explain the possible dangers and then he kicked me out of his office because he felt like I was accusing him of something. (My dive buoy was on his desk mind you.) Well at least I got my dive buoy back. On another dive we watched (From 20ft under the flag.) a boat pick up our flag and maneuver around it. At least he was nice enough to drop it back in the water for us.

To save the hastle of curious boaters or salvage hunters from endangering my life while I am underwater I have chosen to just use a marker buoy and float it to the surface prior to ascending. The lifeguards that patrol some of the beaches that require the use of flags haven't had a problem with it.

Has anyone else had these kind of problems with dive flags or a dive buoy?

I haven't had any problems like that, thank God. The only place I usually tow a flag or buoy is at Kamaole beaches in Kihei, Maui, where the lifeguards insist on it. They don't object to my use of a Sporasub torpedo float with a small flag about 6x6"

Technically you were in violation of the state law that require you to display a dive flag. 12"x12" minimum size, IIRC, but OTOH the boat should not have taken off with your buoy.

You should call the Coast Guard and relate both the incident and the response of the parasail company manager. He and his captains need some training review.

I haven't heard of any law that requires the use of a 12x12 flag. Not saying there isn't one but if there is it is not enforced. Regardless if you spend any time in the state you know what a dive buoy looks like. We were also at a very popular dive site with spear fisherman and dive charters. There were two dive boats less than 100yrds from where we were diving.

You should call the Coast Guard and relate both the incident and the response of the parasail company manager. He and his captains need some training review.
Yep!

lee08:
I haven't heard of any law that requires the use of a 12x12 flag. Not saying there isn't one but if there is it is not enforced.
I think it changed last year http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dbor/rules/amendment13230_13256.htm

As you note, enforcement is very rare, although I've heard rumors of DNLR issuing a couple tickets at Makena Landing in Maui last year. I only use a flag or float in a couple of spots that have significant boat traffic.

The previous owner of ProDiver Maui was one of the few dive ops to use a DSMB on drift dives at Molokini. He would joke about the little tiny dive flag that he had painted onto the marker buoy and say that, technically, he was then in compliance with the state law.

onfloat:
Yeah, do you think you could find the coast guard number?? I know a guy that actually works at the local station in Honolulu. :D
I say next time take the Marines with you!!!

what's up with the sheep??
Thats not a sheep. That's the "ice head" that hangs out at Elec. Beach looking for cars to break into. I think he is also the same guy that gave you a ticket for speeding on H1 last week.:sadlike:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom